postfix virtual users in ldap, no advantage?

  • Beast
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28 10:19 PM
      Implementing postfix virtual users using ldap --IMO-- has no advantage,
      because some settings should be keept in postfix config file
      (virtual_mailbox_base), while others can be put on ldap
      (virtual_mailbox_maps), but still not in "standard" form (relative path
      and "/" suffix for maildir).

      While for some other IMAP/POP3 needs a absolute path of "homeDirectory",
      this will make duplicate attributes in ldap and moving user home
      directory is not as easy as just replacing value in homeDirectory attribute.

      To be honest, this is not a big issue for me, because I only maintain
      small list of users (<50), but I wonder how others whose maintains
      thousands of users solve this problem?

      --

      --beast
    • Magnus Bäck
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28 10:36 PM
        On Wednesday, March 01, 2006 at 07:19 CET,
        Beast <beast@...> wrote:

        > Implementing postfix virtual users using ldap --IMO-- has no
        > advantage, because some settings should be keept in postfix config
        > file (virtual_mailbox_base), while others can be put on ldap
        > (virtual_mailbox_maps), but still not in "standard" form (relative
        > path and "/" suffix for maildir).
        >
        > While for some other IMAP/POP3 needs a absolute path of
        > "homeDirectory", this will make duplicate attributes in ldap
        > and moving user home directory is not as easy as just replacing
        > value in homeDirectory attribute.
        >
        > To be honest, this is not a big issue for me, because I only maintain
        > small list of users (<50), but I wonder how others whose maintains
        > thousands of users solve this problem?

        The result of a virtual_mailbox_maps lookup can be an absolute path
        (just set virtual_mailbox_base to "/"), and you can use result_filter to
        add the final slash to the lookup result if you want maildir delivery.

        --
        Magnus Bäck
        magnus@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
          Magnus Bäck wrote:

          > The result of a virtual_mailbox_maps lookup can be an absolute path
          > (just set virtual_mailbox_base to "/"), and you can use result_filter to

          virtual_mailbox_base = /

          vmailbox:
          user@... /home/vmail/user

          Isn't that "/" + "/home/vmail/user" = "//home/vmail/user", ist that ok
          with postfix?

          > add the final slash to the lookup result if you want maildir delivery.

          Unlike sql, ldap query wouldn't allow us to add that trailing slash, cmiiw.

          --

          --beast
        • Bas van den Dikkenberg
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
            Can postfix work as fallback mail server .

            If yes can force a deque with etrn command?
          • Maarten de Vries
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
              Hi Bas,

              Please, do not hijack a thread.

              On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:43:47 +0100, Bas van den Dikkenberg wrote:

              > Can postfix work as fallback mail server .

              Of course.

              > If yes can force a deque with etrn command?

              Yes.

              You may want to take a look at the excellent Postfix documentation, available
              at http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html

              --
              Powered by unsavoury.net
            • Beast
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
                Beast wrote:
                > Magnus Bäck wrote:
                >

                >> The result of a virtual_mailbox_maps lookup can be an absolute path
                >> (just set virtual_mailbox_base to "/"), and you can use result_filter to
                >

                > virtual_mailbox_base = /
                >
                > vmailbox:
                > user@... /home/vmail/user
                >

                > Isn't that "/" + "/home/vmail/user" = "//home/vmail/user", ist that ok
                > with postfix?

                I guess its ok.

                >> add the final slash to the lookup result if you want maildir delivery.
                >>

                > Unlike sql, ldap query wouldn't allow us to add that trailing slash, cmiiw.

                I can use:
                query_filter = (mail=%s)
                result_attribute = homeDirectory
                result_format = %s/

                Many thanks!

                --

                --beast
                sum.ldap.or.id/blog
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
                  On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 03:36:17PM +0700, Beast wrote:

                  > >add the final slash to the lookup result if you want maildir delivery.
                  > >

                  > Unlike sql, ldap query wouldn't allow us to add that trailing slash, cmiiw.

                  result_filter = %s/

                  http://www.postfix.org/ldap_table.5.html