Re: Problem with overriding an smtpd option in master.cf

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2006
      On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 10:59:25PM +0100, Magnus B?ck wrote:

      > On Tuesday, February 28, 2006 at 12:43 CET,
      > Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...> wrote:
      >
      > > > My only problem is, that I currently have to specify the
      > > > transport_maps parameter in main.cf, and that I seem to be
      > > > unable to override it on the smtpd command line in master.cf
      > > > with -o. And I'm absolutely baffled at that :-)
      > >
      > > Why? qmgr does routing decisions, not smtpd :)
      >
      > Actually, it's trivial-rewrite(8) that resolves the nexthop.
      > qmgr(8) only manages the queue and dispatches delivery agents
      > according to the decisions made by trivial-rewrite(8).

      Yes, but the this is mostly an implementation artifact. For the
      moment "morally" the decision is still with the queue manager,
      which reads the queue file and asks trivial rewrite for the
      mailer tripple for each recipient, it then schedules delivery
      via the appropriate agent and nexthop...

      A hypothetical future design could have a two stage queue manager,
      with transport computation separate from the main scheduler. This is
      appealing, but there are real obstacles if one wants to avoid deadlock
      when disk space is low, and wants to run in bounded memory. The current
      design has the queue manager doing more work (a potential bottle-neck
      at very high volumes in I/O constrained environments), but the more
      serious pitfalls are avoided.