Re: OCR

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2006
      Greg Hackney a écrit :
      > Victor Duchovni wrote:
      >
      >> 0.7 sec per gif is a lot of CPU (1.4 msgs/sec/CPU just for OCR).
      >
      > The good news is that the OCR time is actually less than that, because
      > that time included
      > a conversion from GIF to PNM format, by a built-in call to the Linux
      > "giftopnm" program.
      >
      >> A resident GIF-to-OCR daemon may be able to go faster...
      >

      > Faster is better. It seems there is sufficient interest in pursuing the
      > idea. But
      > the initial hurdle as I see it, is first finding a good opensource OCR
      > engine. JOCR
      > is an underdeveloped project, and has no recent updates to it (although
      > they have
      > asked for help). Perhaps there's another more mature OCR-text program
      > available?

      the issue is cost/benefit related. At this time, I'm catching almost all
      of these with bayes and few heuristic rules. and I believe one can
      generate images that can't be detected (this is not the case today, but
      there's a market for this, so I think this will come). the technology is
      already here (and is developped by people who try to fight spam!). look
      for "gotchas".