gld issue

  • Justin Fielding
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hi people, I have an issue with gld timing out connections, I know this
      isn't a postfix issue (just before you mention it Wietse) but I'm
      assuming quite a few people on the list will be using gld. There isn't
      a gld mailing list and I tried contacting the author with no luck.

      Here's the log:

      Feb 28 14:56:31 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: connect from
      pluto.ubs.com[193.134.254.194]
      Feb 28 14:56:44 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: warning: premature
      end-of-input on 127.0.0.1:2525 while reading input attribute name
      Feb 28 14:56:45 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: warning: connect to
      127.0.0.1:2525: Connection refused
      Feb 28 14:56:45 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: warning: problem talking
      to server 127.0.0.1:2525: Connection refused
      Feb 28 14:56:45 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
      from pluto.ubs.com[193.134.254.194]: 450 Server configuration problem;
      from=<SH-UBSFUNDS-Information-Management@...>
      to=<someaddress@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<pluto.ubs.com>
      Feb 28 14:56:45 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: disconnect from
      pluto.ubs.com[193.134.254.194]

      If I use:

      ps aux|grep gld

      I see lots of gld processes, I don't see why, I guess some are refusing
      connection and another is spawned?

      I would like to get this resolved as the greylisting is really helping
      to stop some of the spam which would make its way past rbl or
      spamassassin checks. If nobody can help maybe a more stable greylisting
      process could be suggested (one using mysql would be great).

      Really don't understand how this one made it in to the Debian stable
      branch if it isn't supported and isn't stable.

      --

      Many Thanks,

      Justin Fielding
      *IT Systems Engineer
      *
      Forsyth Partners Limited
      94 Park Lane
      Croydon
      Surrey, CR0 1JB.

      *D* +44(0) 20 8662 2669
      *M* +44(0) 7921 056 355
      *T* +44(0) 20 8649 9440
      *F* +44(0) 20 8649 9441

      *Skype* justinfielding

      justin.fielding@...
      <mailto:justin.fielding@...>
      http://www.forsythpartners.com <http://www.forsythpartners.com/>
    • Keith Matthews
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
        On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:44:36 +0000
        Justin Fielding <justin.fielding@...> wrote:

        > Hi people, I have an issue with gld timing out connections, I know
        > this isn't a postfix issue (just before you mention it Wietse) but I'm
        >
        > assuming quite a few people on the list will be using gld. There
        > isn't a gld mailing list and I tried contacting the author with no
        > luck.
        >
        > Here's the log:
        >
        > Feb 28 14:56:31 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: connect from
        > pluto.ubs.com[193.134.254.194]
        > Feb 28 14:56:44 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: warning: premature
        > end-of-input on 127.0.0.1:2525 while reading input attribute name
        > Feb 28 14:56:45 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: warning: connect to
        > 127.0.0.1:2525: Connection refused
        > Feb 28 14:56:45 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: warning: problem
        > talking to server 127.0.0.1:2525: Connection refused
        > Feb 28 14:56:45 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
        > from pluto.ubs.com[193.134.254.194]: 450 Server configuration problem;
        >
        > from=<SH-UBSFUNDS-Information-Management@...>
        > to=<someaddress@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<pluto.ubs.com>
        > Feb 28 14:56:45 localhost postfix/smtpd[24155]: disconnect from
        > pluto.ubs.com[193.134.254.194]

        That's basically why I gave up on gld. try Cami's policyd instead.

        --
        Due to excessive spam as a result of archiving of this list I only
        accept mail through the list server.
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
          Keith Matthews escreveu:

          >That's basically why I gave up on gld. try Cami's policyd instead.

          You are not alone guys ...... gld worked absolutely fine on
          low-volume mail systems for me. But i had SEVERAL problems on sites with
          a little more messages handled. You can notice that when gld starts
          giving timeout/server configuration error, you'll be able to see SEVERAL
          gld processes running (ps auwx | grep gld). When things are working just
          fine, you'll see only 1 gld process. When several daemons are running,
          stopping/starting gld solves the problem, until it happens again.

          I have also changed to policyd. It's as easy as gld to configure,
          but gives some interesting extra options and, in fact, it works in all
          situations.

          http://policyd.sourceforge.net/

          --

          Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
          Leonardo Rodrigues

          gertrudes@...
          My SPAMTRAP, do not email it
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
            Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães a écrit :
            > I have also changed to policyd. It's as easy as gld to configure, but
            > gives some interesting extra options and, in fact, it works in all
            > situations.
            >
            > http://policyd.sourceforge.net/

            http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2005-1099
          • Justin Fielding

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
                Justin Fielding escreveu:

                > Looks interesting, it has lots of features but can most of these be
                > disabled? I only really want the greylisting/whitelisting.
                >
                > ---
                >
                > I have also changed to policyd. It's as easy as gld to configure, but
                > gives some interesting extra options and, in fact, it works in all
                > situations.
                >
                > http://policyd.sourceforge.net/

                Sure ...... all features can be individually enabled/disabled in
                policyd.conf. When enabling whitelists, i would strongly recommend that
                you read about whitelist_dnsname module and avoid using whitelist by
                sender addresses. Take a look on blacklist_helo module as well. It's
                simply to configure and use, but drops lots of spam/virus as well.

                --

                Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
                Leonardo Rodrigues

                gertrudes@...