SMTP auth using some other server

  • Ramprasad
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
      Can I configure postfix to do smtp auth for the incoming mail and use
      some other SMTP server to do the authentication.

      Using cyrus sasl I can user the "rimap" mechanism to authenticate
      against a remote imap server, is there a similar "rsmtp" available ?

      Thanks
      Ram
    • Simon Waters
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
        On Tuesday 28 Feb 2006 05:47, Ramprasad wrote:

        > Using cyrus sasl I can user the "rimap" mechanism to authenticate
        > against a remote imap server, is there a similar "rsmtp" available ?

        Lost me, can't you just use saslauthd, which would give you similar
        authentication features to Cyrus AIUI.

        The only gotcha is learning all the saslauthd stuff, and remembering to put
        the mux file in the chroot jail.

        One on my servers has;

        /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf
        pwcheck_method: saslauthd
        saslauthd_path: /etc/mux
        mech_list: plain login

        Although how it all works seems suddenly very vague.
      • Patrick Ben Koetter
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
          * Ramprasad <ram@...>:
          > Can I configure postfix to do smtp auth for the incoming mail and use
          > some other SMTP server to do the authentication.

          You mean, server A uses the credentials given by a mail client and tries to
          authenticate with these data at server B. If that succeeds, server A considers
          the mail client to be authenticated?

          If that's what you are looking for, then Cyrus-SASL.2.x (it does
          authentication on request from Postfix) cannot do it.

          > Using cyrus sasl I can user the "rimap" mechanism to authenticate
          > against a remote imap server, is there a similar "rsmtp" available ?

          Nope, there's no "rsmtp" method for Cyrus-SASL.2.x. You can either use rimap
          with saslauthd to authenticate against an IMAP server or the sql (MySQL,
          PostgreSQL, SQLite) or ldapdb (OpenLDAP, ...) auxprop plugins to access
          database backends.

          p@rick

          --
          The Book of Postfix
          <http://www.postfix-book.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
            On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:54 +0100, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
            > * Ramprasad <ram@...>:
            > > Can I configure postfix to do smtp auth for the incoming mail and use
            > > some other SMTP server to do the authentication.
            >
            > You mean, server A uses the credentials given by a mail client and tries to
            > authenticate with these data at server B. If that succeeds, server A considers
            > the mail client to be authenticated?

            Precisely

            > If that's what you are looking for, then Cyrus-SASL.2.x (it does
            > authentication on request from Postfix) cannot do it.
            >
            > > Using cyrus sasl I can user the "rimap" mechanism to authenticate
            > > against a remote imap server, is there a similar "rsmtp" available ?
            >
            > Nope, there's no "rsmtp" method for Cyrus-SASL.2.x. You can either use rimap
            > with saslauthd to authenticate against an IMAP server or the sql (MySQL,
            > PostgreSQL, SQLite) or ldapdb (OpenLDAP, ...) auxprop plugins to access
            > database backends.

            Oh, But if the Server B was a third party server , I would not always
            get access to their datastore ( may be SQL, ldap or even shadow
            passwd )

            Also IMHO it is much easier if you dont have to manage these plugins
            especially when there is already a server doing that already

            Thanks
            Ram
          • Patrick Ben Koetter
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
              * Ramprasad <ram@...>:
              > On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 12:54 +0100, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
              > > * Ramprasad <ram@...>:
              > > > Can I configure postfix to do smtp auth for the incoming mail and use
              > > > some other SMTP server to do the authentication.
              > >
              > > You mean, server A uses the credentials given by a mail client and tries to
              > > authenticate with these data at server B. If that succeeds, server A considers
              > > the mail client to be authenticated?
              >
              > Precisely
              >
              > > If that's what you are looking for, then Cyrus-SASL.2.x (it does
              > > authentication on request from Postfix) cannot do it.
              > >
              > > > Using cyrus sasl I can user the "rimap" mechanism to authenticate
              > > > against a remote imap server, is there a similar "rsmtp" available ?
              > >
              > > Nope, there's no "rsmtp" method for Cyrus-SASL.2.x. You can either use rimap
              > > with saslauthd to authenticate against an IMAP server or the sql (MySQL,
              > > PostgreSQL, SQLite) or ldapdb (OpenLDAP, ...) auxprop plugins to access
              > > database backends.
              >
              > Oh, But if the Server B was a third party server , I would not always
              > get access to their datastore ( may be SQL, ldap or even shadow
              > passwd )

              yep

              > Also IMHO it is much easier if you dont have to manage these plugins
              > especially when there is already a server doing that already

              Sure. It's also easier if you don't have to run a mail server if someone else
              is doing that already. ;) Besides you'd have to manage the plugins that take
              care of "rsmtp" if there was any. Point is, if you want the utmost control of
              what is happening, you will probably need to tackle this sooner or later. :/

              If you need help dealing with SASL and SMTP AUTH tell us what you'd like to
              have and we will help you with it.

              p@rick