Re: Best file system

  • Lee Hetherington
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> I'm setting up a new postfix server with SATA RAID. And I wonder what
      >> the best file system would be? RAID1 with two 250 gigabyte drives.
      >>
      >> I've had so many recommendations, and I'm not experienced enough to
      >> make the call myself.
      >>
      >> So, any suggestions?

      I use ext3 with the noatime flag set
    • Cami
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
        Lee Hetherington wrote:

        >>> Hi,
        >>>
        >>> I'm setting up a new postfix server with SATA RAID. And I wonder what
        >>> the best file system would be? RAID1 with two 250 gigabyte drives.
        >>>
        >>> I've had so many recommendations, and I'm not experienced enough to
        >>> make the call myself.
        >>>
        >>> So, any suggestions?
        >
        > I use ext3 with the noatime flag set

        Wasn't there a recent thread where it was mentioned that
        setting noatime is a bad thing to do on a partition which
        Postfix keeps its spool/queues?

        Cami
      • Justin Krejci
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
          On Wednesday 01 February 2006 05:11 am, ann@... wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm setting up a new postfix server with SATA RAID. And I wonder what
          > the best file system would be? RAID1 with two 250 gigabyte drives.
          >
          > I've had so many recommendations, and I'm not experienced enough to
          > make the call myself.
          >
          > So, any suggestions?

          Here is our ideal setup.
          We generally use two raid volumes.
          4 Disks doing RAID10 for / (reiser with noatime)
          2 Disks doing RAID1 for /var/log (reiser)

          We process thousands of e-mails per server per day and found this to be pretty
          efficient. Our compressed mail log files usually end up over 100megs per day.
        • Ralf Hildebrandt
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
            * Cami <camis@...>:

            > Wasn't there a recent thread where it was mentioned that setting
            > noatime is a bad thing to do on a partition which Postfix keeps its
            > spool/queues?

            Huh? We've been using that for years now...

            --
            Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...
            http://www.postfix-buch.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
              Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

              >* Cami <camis@...>:
              >

              >>Wasn't there a recent thread where it was mentioned that setting
              >>noatime is a bad thing to do on a partition which Postfix keeps its
              >>spool/queues?
              >>

              >Huh? We've been using that for years now...

              Me also. I manage a relay cluster for an ISP which uses that setup and
              delivers a large amount of email. They use home-built linux boxes which
              large mail volumes very often screw IDE hard disks up (But im sure thats
              just because they are crappy IDE disks). But my setup is using U320 SCSI
              disks with ext3 and noatime, which has worked well for 3 years now.

              I always read that noatime was the way to go...
            • lst_hoe01@kwsoft.de
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                Zitat von Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...>:

                > * Cami <camis@...>:
                >
                >> Wasn't there a recent thread where it was mentioned that setting
                >> noatime is a bad thing to do on a partition which Postfix keeps its
                >> spool/queues?
                >
                > Huh? We've been using that for years now...

                It is only a problem in some circumstances :

                http://groups.google.com/group/list.postfix.users/browse_thread/thread/c9841ed9a7040555/bbf685475eadab94?q=noatime&rnum=2#bbf685475eadab94

                Regards

                Andreas
              • Cami
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                  lst_hoe01@... wrote:
                  > Zitat von Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...>:
                  >
                  >> * Cami <camis@...>:
                  >>
                  >>> Wasn't there a recent thread where it was mentioned that setting
                  >>> noatime is a bad thing to do on a partition which Postfix keeps its
                  >>> spool/queues?
                  >>
                  >> Huh? We've been using that for years now...
                  >
                  > It is only a problem in some circumstances :
                  >
                  > http://groups.google.com/group/list.postfix.users/browse_thread/thread/c9841ed9a7040555/bbf685475eadab94?q=noatime&rnum=2#bbf685475eadab94

                  Unless i'm reading that thread incorrectly, its
                  a problem in most circumstances since by default:

                  fast_flush_domains = $relay_domains

                  Or am i missing something?

                  Cami
                • lst_hoe01@kwsoft.de
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Zitat von Cami <camis@...>:

                    > lst_hoe01@... wrote:
                    >> Zitat von Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@...>:

                    >>> Huh? We've been using that for years now...
                    >>
                    >> It is only a problem in some circumstances :
                    >>
                    >> http://groups.google.com/group/list.postfix.users/browse_thread/thread/c9841ed9a7040555/bbf685475eadab94?q=noatime&rnum=2#bbf685475eadab94
                    >
                    > Unless i'm reading that thread incorrectly, its
                    > a problem in most circumstances since by default:
                    >
                    > fast_flush_domains = $relay_domains
                    >
                    > Or am i missing something?

                    As far as i understand you also need some amoumt of deferred mail for
                    this beeing a problem as the mail don't really get deferred with
                    "noatime" mounts.
                    But for sure Wietse or Victor can clear this issue.

                    Regards

                    Andreas
                  • Cami
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                      lst_hoe01@... wrote:
                      > Zitat von Cami <camis@...>:
                      >
                      >> lst_hoe01@... wrote:

                      >>> It is only a problem in some circumstances :
                      >>>
                      >>> http://groups.google.com/group/list.postfix.users/browse_thread/thread/c9841ed9a7040555/bbf685475eadab94?q=noatime&rnum=2#bbf685475eadab94
                      >>
                      >> Unless i'm reading that thread incorrectly, its
                      >> a problem in most circumstances since by default:
                      >>
                      >> fast_flush_domains = $relay_domains
                      >>
                      >> Or am i missing something?
                      >
                      > As far as i understand you also need some amoumt of deferred mail for
                      > this beeing a problem as the mail don't really get deferred with
                      > "noatime" mounts.

                      At some point in time, service breaks cause outages
                      and you'll land up having (deferred) queues sooner or
                      later. Having noatime set causes Postfix to behave
                      incorrectly.

                      Wietse at the end of the thread states:
                      "I don't recommend turning off atimes."

                      Cami
                    • ann@elektron.no
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                        Hi,

                        > in any case use a journaling filesystem like ext3, reiserfs, ..

                        From what I'm reading, ext3 is better with large files, while reisersfs is
                        better with lots of small files.

                        Lots of small files - check
                        Large files - keeping log files under 100 megabytes for now.

                        So, exactly what do they mean by large files?

                        Reisers has a lower ceiling for how large files it can support, according
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
                        But I won't hit that limit no matter what, on this system.

                        So, any other snags?

                        One of my associates is a fan of Reisers, but has no experience with
                        Postfix specifically, only qmail and other linux servers.
                      • Jay Maynard
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                          On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 02:11:07PM +0100, ann@... wrote:
                          > One of my associates is a fan of Reisers, but has no experience with
                          > Postfix specifically, only qmail and other linux servers.

                          I've heard too many comments about people losing everything with Reiser4,
                          and about how Reiser4's fsck only deals with looking for specific byte
                          strings (thus getting hopelessly confused with a filesystem containing an
                          image of another Reiser4 filesystem in a file), and about how Reiser4 will
                          never be integrated into the Linux kernel (persistent violations of kernel
                          coding standards, and a fundamental difference over its plugin architecture
                          and Linus's versio of how things should be). I'm personally staying far, far
                          away.
                          --
                          Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.cx
                          http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                            Zitat von Cami <camis@...>:

                            > At some point in time, service breaks cause outages
                            > and you'll land up having (deferred) queues sooner or
                            > later. Having noatime set causes Postfix to behave
                            > incorrectly.
                            >
                            > Wietse at the end of the thread states:
                            > "I don't recommend turning off atimes."

                            Don't get me wrong. I neither have nor will i do set "noatime" on any
                            of my postfix mailservers. I only try to explain why so many people say
                            "hey it worked for years on my machine".

                            Regards

                            Andreas
                          • Cami
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                              Jay Maynard wrote:
                              > On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 02:11:07PM +0100, ann@... wrote:
                              >
                              >>One of my associates is a fan of Reisers, but has no experience with
                              >>Postfix specifically, only qmail and other linux servers.
                              >
                              > I've heard too many comments about people losing everything with Reiser4,
                              > and about how Reiser4's fsck only deals with looking for specific byte
                              > strings (thus getting hopelessly confused with a filesystem containing an
                              > image of another Reiser4 filesystem in a file), and about how Reiser4 will
                              > never be integrated into the Linux kernel (persistent violations of kernel
                              > coding standards, and a fundamental difference over its plugin architecture
                              > and Linus's versio of how things should be). I'm personally staying far, far
                              > away.

                              Reiser4 is not part of the default kernel, so lets
                              not go bashing it yet. Until its part of the default
                              kernel, don't expect it to magically be 'bug-free'.
                              If you're following the reiser mailing list, you'll
                              see that things are getting sorted and progress is
                              being made in adhering to the standards.

                              Reiser3 I've been using for many years, and use it to
                              store ~400 000 users mailboxes. (~1TB of mail)

                              Cami
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                                Postfix uses the file system to store its queue, and it can be
                                broken in many ways by non-standard file system semantics. The
                                following list is incomplete because I have not considered all the
                                possible ways in which people can break file systems.

                                Postfix uses fsync() on the queue file to avoid loss of mail after
                                a system crash. This breaks when write caching is not turned off
                                on the disk drive, or when fsync() does not update the parent
                                directory (example: ext2fs). In the former case you lose mail and
                                probably much more, in the latter case it ends up in lost+found.

                                Postfix uses atime (last read/execute) time stamps to decide when
                                to update its "fast flush" logs, which are used by ETRN clients.
                                When this breaks, Postfix will attempt to deliver all deferred mail
                                that is listed in "fast flush" logs, whenever the flush daemon scans
                                its logs. By default, this happens every 1000s.

                                Postfix sets the execute bit to indicate that a queue file is
                                complete. On file systems that don't allow users to set the execute
                                bit on a file, Postfix will never deliver mail.

                                Postfix uses mtime (last update) time stamps to decide when to
                                deliver deferred mail. When they manage to break this, Postfix will
                                attempt to deliver all deferred mail whenever the queue manager
                                scans the queue, which is every 500s by default.

                                The fsync() issue also affects deliveries to mailbox/maildir files.
                                As far as Postfix is concerned, mtimes and atimes don't matter with
                                mailbox/maildir files but other software may need it.

                                Wietse
                              • Simon Waters
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                                  On Wednesday 01 Feb 2006 13:27, Cami wrote:

                                  > Reiser3 I've been using for many years, and use it to
                                  > store ~400 000 users mailboxes. (~1TB of mail)

                                  Reiser3 here. It is the most mature journalling file system, for Linux. I use
                                  it whenever the question of filesystem arises unless there is a compelling
                                  reason not to, I don't know of any reasons not to for Postfix.

                                  I believe Wietse is a fan of BSD, or at least confident that the file system
                                  semantics provided by the filesystem there are 100% compatible with Postfix.
                                  Solaris also has a good default filesystem for this sort of thing.
                                • Alexander Schäfer
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                                    ann@... schrieb:
                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > I'm setting up a new postfix server with SATA RAID. And I wonder what
                                    > the best file system would be? RAID1 with two 250 gigabyte drives.
                                    >
                                    > I've had so many recommendations, and I'm not experienced enough to
                                    > make the call myself.
                                    >
                                    > So, any suggestions?

                                    If you will have the best possible availability and stability, the the
                                    ext3 should be the best choice.

                                    The best performance should be possible with raiserfs, even though there
                                    are complex dependency on file sizes, block sizes etc.

                                    On the server i would take ext3.
                                  • Bryan Irvine
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                                      On 2/1/06, ann@... <ann@...> wrote:
                                      > Hi,
                                      >
                                      > I'm setting up a new postfix server with SATA RAID. And I wonder what
                                      > the best file system would be? RAID1 with two 250 gigabyte drives.
                                      >
                                      > I've had so many recommendations, and I'm not experienced enough to
                                      > make the call myself.
                                      >
                                      > So, any suggestions?

                                      vi! no wait, emacs! ;)

                                      I personally use UFS. If you are on Linux, I would probably recomend
                                      ext3. It's somewhat fast but more important, can be mounted as ext2
                                      in the event of a severe disaster.

                                      --Bryan
                                    • Webmaster Elaconta.com
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006