Connection timed out errors

  • Troy Davis
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
      Are "Connection time out" error a problem with my server or the receiving
      server?
      Any help appreciated

      Feb 1 17:32:00 spider postfix/smtp[9747]: 8184C4A7EB:
      to=<glenn-o@...>, relay=none, delay=317649, status=deferred
      (connect to sbcglobal.com[144.160.134.61]: Connection timed out)

      Feb 1 07:48:09 spider postfix/smtp[28181]: 1A9E64A803:
      to=<pat_alanhutch@...>, relay=none, delay=72436, status=deferred
      (connect to btinernet.com[38.119.83.27]: Connection timed out)

      Regards Troy
    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
        * Troy Davis <lists@...>:

        > Are "Connection time out" error a problem with my server or the receiving
        > server?

        Well, the connection just times out. That's all. For whatever reasons.
        They're already blacklisted for that:

        Host/Domain: sbcglobal.com
        Listed in the RHSBL dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
        Listed in the RHSBL abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
        Listed in the RHSBL postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org
        Listed in the RHSBL whois.rfc-ignorant.org

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...
        http://www.postfix-buch.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
          Troy Davis wrote:
          > Are "Connection time out" error a problem with my server or the
          > receiving server?
          > Any help appreciated
          >
          > Feb 1 17:32:00 spider postfix/smtp[9747]: 8184C4A7EB:
          > to=<glenn-o@...>, relay=none, delay=317649, status=deferred
          > (connect to sbcglobal.com[144.160.134.61]: Connection timed out)
          >
          > Feb 1 07:48:09 spider postfix/smtp[28181]: 1A9E64A803:
          > to=<pat_alanhutch@...>, relay=none, delay=72436,
          > status=deferred (connect to btinernet.com[38.119.83.27]: Connection
          > timed out)
          >
          > Regards Troy

          that means that your mailserver couldn't reach the destination mailserver
          with the ip 38.119.83.27 - there are many possibilities why this problem
          occurs but:

          werner@phoenix:~$ dig btinernet.com MX +short
          werner@phoenix:~$

          werner@phoenix:~$ dig sbcglobal.com MX +short
          werner@phoenix:~$

          these two domains have no MX Records, i also cannot reach these domains
          via telnet on port 25.

          regards,
          werner
        • Duncan Hill
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
            On Wednesday 01 February 2006 08:56, Werner Detter wrote:
            > Troy Davis wrote:

            > > Feb 1 07:48:09 spider postfix/smtp[28181]: 1A9E64A803:
            > > to=<pat_alanhutch@...>, relay=none, delay=72436,
            > > status=deferred (connect to btinernet.com[38.119.83.27]: Connection
            > > timed out)

            > werner@phoenix:~$ dig btinernet.com MX +short
            > werner@phoenix:~$

            At a guess, that should be btinternet.com, not btinernet.com - thought
            btinernet.com is a valid domain, Polish owner, PSI.net netspace.
            Btinernet.com web wise redirects to one of those placeholder 'search'
            engines, so I'm not sure anyone would be sending e-mail there.
          • Troy Davis
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
              > On Wednesday 01 February 2006 08:56, Werner Detter wrote:
              >> Troy Davis wrote:
              >
              >> > Feb 1 07:48:09 spider postfix/smtp[28181]: 1A9E64A803:
              >> > to=<pat_alanhutch@...>, relay=none, delay=72436,
              >> > status=deferred (connect to btinernet.com[38.119.83.27]: Connection
              >> > timed out)
              >
              >> werner@phoenix:~$ dig btinernet.com MX +short
              >> werner@phoenix:~$
              >
              > At a guess, that should be btinternet.com, not btinernet.com - thought
              > btinernet.com is a valid domain, Polish owner, PSI.net netspace.
              > Btinernet.com web wise redirects to one of those placeholder 'search'
              > engines, so I'm not sure anyone would be sending e-mail there.

              You might be right with this one, I have sent an email to
              pat_alanhutch@... and it has not come back user unknown. And I
              guess the other one sbcglobal.com must be simply having problems. The
              customer has been blaming my mail server. I know have some answers for her,
              Thankyou all for your replies

              Regards Troy
            • Charles Marcus
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
                > You might be right with this one, I have sent an email to
                > pat_alanhutch@... and it has not come back user unknown. And I
                > guess the other one sbcglobal.com must be simply having problems. The
                > customer has been blaming my mail server. I know have some answers for
                > her, Thankyou all for your replies

                Interesting... we had an issue sending to someone in that domain just a
                couple of weeks ago - and they, too, were blaming us, but it turned out
                to be them...
              • Mike Morris
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
                  On 2006/02/01, Troy Davis wrote:

                  > guess the other one sbcglobal.com must be simply having problems. The
                  > customer has been blaming my mail server. I know have some answers for her,
                  > Thankyou all for your replies

                  Your users need to learn to pay attention to email addresses.
                  sbcglobal.com is not used for email; sbcglobal.net is.