Postfix Config

  • Hawk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi,

      Is there a way to configure postfix to deliver messages to two different
      servers?

      Thanks in advance.
    • Jussi Silvennoinen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
        > Is there a way to configure postfix to deliver messages to two different
        > servers?

        You forgot to remove the tin foil hat after all the christmas/newyear
        parties, we're unable to telepathically figure out what you're after.

        So we have to do this the old fashioned way, what exactly do you need?

        Deliver a message to two or more recipients = aliases or virtual_maps
        Duplicate messages = always_bcc (mind the legal consequences)

        --

        Jussi
      • Hawk
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
          Sorry.... I have setup the following:

          Internet -> postfix1 -> postfix 2 -> postfix 3

          I would like:

          Internet -> postfix1 -> postfix 2 -> postfix 3 and postfix 4

          Postfix 1 - Antivirus
          Postfix 2 - Spam Filtering
          Postfix 3 & 4 - mail store or mailboxes

          Postfix 3 & 4 have identical user mailboxes - insurance if either goes down.

        • Keith Matthews
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
            On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:15:15 -0500
            "Hawk" <Hawk@...> wrote:

            > Sorry.... I have setup the following:
            >
            > Internet -> postfix1 -> postfix 2 -> postfix 3
            >
            > I would like:
            >
            > Internet -> postfix1 -> postfix 2 -> postfix 3 and postfix 4
            >
            > Postfix 1 - Antivirus
            > Postfix 2 - Spam Filtering
            > Postfix 3 & 4 - mail store or mailboxes
            >
            > Postfix 3 & 4 have identical user mailboxes - insurance if either goes
            > down.

            What's the point ?

            you still have 2 single points of failure in the system.

            There's also the matter of what happens to outgoing mail - if you are
            storing that on the server it will only go to the server addressed by
            the MUA. If things are that critical you probably need to think about
            the outgoing side as well.

            And to answer your question - no it can't be done without a lot of
            fiddling since you'd need something to allow 'postfix2' to know which
            copy of the message to send to which destination.

            --
            Due to excessive spam as a result of archiving of this list I only
            accept mail through the list server.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
              On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 06:25:55PM +0000, Keith Matthews wrote:

              > On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:15:15 -0500
              > "Hawk" <Hawk@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Sorry.... I have setup the following:
              > >
              > > Internet -> postfix1 -> postfix 2 -> postfix 3
              > >
              > > I would like:
              > >
              > > Internet -> postfix1 -> postfix 2 -> postfix 3 and postfix 4
              > >
              > > Postfix 1 - Antivirus
              > > Postfix 2 - Spam Filtering
              > > Postfix 3 & 4 - mail store or mailboxes
              > >
              > > Postfix 3 & 4 have identical user mailboxes - insurance if either goes
              > > down.
              > >

              > What's the point ?
              >
              > you still have 2 single points of failure in the system.

              No, loss of stored mail is much higher risk than loss of mail in transit..
              The harder problem is what to do with state (read/unread flags, message
              deletion, IMAP uids, ...). Replicating mail stores may require more
              than delivering the same messages twice (they may need to be delivered
              in the same order, ...). This depends on the access protocols and the
              store implementation.

              Instead of duplicate delivery, master/slave replication, or mirrored
              (multi-campus?) SAN storage may be more appropriate.