postfix 2.2.7 executing aliases as nobody instead of owner of file

  • Todd A Green
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
      It's late, I'm tired...but unless I've lost my mind postfix should be
      executing this file:

      antitrust:/usr/local/mailman/data(621:0)> ls -ld aliases.db
      -rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 688128 2005-12-31 19:41 aliases.db

      As user mailman, however it has decided to start executing it as nobody:

      <tag-test@...>: Command died with status 2:
      "/usr/local/pkgs/mailman-2.1.7/mail/mailman post tag-test". Command
      output: Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to
      be executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the
      mail script as group "nobody".

      Which of course leaves mailman rather unhappy. It is as if postfix is
      trying to access it across NFS as root and gets mapped to nobody.

      This was working fine for days (running the scripts as mailman). The only
      recent change was that proxymap has been segfaulting every hour or so since
      adding mailman. So to eliminate NFS as a variable I copied the aliases.db
      to /etc/postfix/mailman_aliases.db and updated alias_maps and restarted
      postfix. Ever since that change it started trying to execute it as nobody.

      I did undo the steps and am pointing at the original file:

      rio:~(102:0)> postconf alias_maps
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

      (/usr/local/mailman is a symlink to /usr/local/pkgs/mailman-2.1.7/

      At a loss,
      Todd
    • Todd A Green
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
        Todd A Green wrote:
        > It's late, I'm tired...but unless I've lost my mind postfix should be
        > executing this file:
        >
        > antitrust:/usr/local/mailman/data(621:0)> ls -ld aliases.db
        > -rw-rw---- 1 mailman mailman 688128 2005-12-31 19:41 aliases.db
        >
        > As user mailman, however it has decided to start executing it as nobody:

        Ug, it never fails that right after you post you figure out the problem. It
        had to do with multiple PTR's in DNS but only one of the entries having root
        squashed in the exports file and I think with how the Netapp caches NIS
        since this is all controlled via netgroups. Anyway removing the 2nd PTR and
        flushing caches has restored behavior to the norm.

        Todd