Re: Better to do 550 instead of 450 for these?

  • Len Conrad
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      >To me, the world is not "me vs. them" -- the goal is getting mail
      >through, not scolding about other people's configurations.

      It's not 1995, or 2000.
      If mail admins won't/can't setup to look like part of the solution by
      now, then they pay whatever it costs to be part of the problem.

      Len

      http://IMGate.MEIway.com : free anti-spam gateway, runs on 1000's of sites
    • Roger B.A. Klorese
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        Len Conrad wrote:
        > It's not 1995, or 2000.

        It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
        mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
        there being mail.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
          On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 11:03:39PM -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

          > Len Conrad wrote:
          > >It's not 1995, or 2000.
          >
          > It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
          > mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
          > there being mail.

          This is getting seriously off-topic. Setting the DNS-based reject codes
          to 5XX is recommended as soon as one is confortable that the settings
          are correct. Persistent 4XX rejects that *don't* represent temporary
          conditions are worse for the sender.

          So either use "reject_unknown_sender_domain", ... with 5XX codes after
          brief testing with 4XX codes (or soft_bounce=yes), or don't use them
          at all.

          Let's not drift into rec.talk.* territory. No off-topic followups please.