Re: Better to do 550 instead of 450 for these?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      Roger B.A. Klorese a écrit :
      > Victor Duchovni wrote:
      >
      >> Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
      >> returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.
      >

      > How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
      > could be temporarily misconfigured...

      so what? when they fix their system, then they'll post their mail!
      Systems should be optimized for the common case, not for rare cases.

      I prefer to get a bounce telling me that my DNS server is misconfigured
      than wait 4 days and get bounces for all the messages that my system
      sent during that period of time.

      If you don't like DNS failures, then don't base your mail decisions on
      that. DNS isn't safe. If you base your smtp setup on it, then you have
      the common denominator.
    • Len Conrad
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        >To me, the world is not "me vs. them" -- the goal is getting mail
        >through, not scolding about other people's configurations.

        It's not 1995, or 2000.
        If mail admins won't/can't setup to look like part of the solution by
        now, then they pay whatever it costs to be part of the problem.

        Len

        http://IMGate.MEIway.com : free anti-spam gateway, runs on 1000's of sites
      • Roger B.A. Klorese
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          Len Conrad wrote:
          > It's not 1995, or 2000.

          It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
          mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
          there being mail.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
            On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 11:03:39PM -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

            > Len Conrad wrote:
            > >It's not 1995, or 2000.
            >
            > It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
            > mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
            > there being mail.

            This is getting seriously off-topic. Setting the DNS-based reject codes
            to 5XX is recommended as soon as one is confortable that the settings
            are correct. Persistent 4XX rejects that *don't* represent temporary
            conditions are worse for the sender.

            So either use "reject_unknown_sender_domain", ... with 5XX codes after
            brief testing with 4XX codes (or soft_bounce=yes), or don't use them
            at all.

            Let's not drift into rec.talk.* territory. No off-topic followups please.