Re: deferred mail expire limit

  • Sandy Drobic
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
      Magnus Bäck wrote:

      >>from the log:
      >>postfix/smtp[7610]: E1477490: to=<_address_>, relay=_host_[_ip_], delay=
      >>435490, status=deferred (host _host_[_ip_] refused to talk to me: 554-{mx049}
      >>Your address is listed as dynamic ...
      >>postfix/qmgr[452]: E1477490: from=<leva@...>, status=expired, returned
      >>to sender
      >

      > The server gives a permanent error code. Why would Postfix defer this
      > for days instead of bouncing it right away?

      Probably because the server that was contacted was so hasty it
      disconnected immediately:

      telnet mx0.gmx.net 25

      554-{mx028} Your address is listed as dynamic on SORBS (dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net)
      554 We are currently not accepting connections from such hosts.

      Connection to host lost.

      And so Postfix tries again and again and again...
      until max_queue_lifetime is reached. :((

      Sandy
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
        On Sunday 2006-January-01 16:15, LeVA wrote:
        > postfix/smtp[7610]: E1477490: to=<_address_>, relay=_host_[_ip_],
        > delay= 435490, status=deferred (host _host_[_ip_] refused to talk to
        > me: 554-{mx049} Your address is listed as dynamic ...

        This wasn't what you were asking, but perhaps is ultimately your best
        solution: postconf.5.html#relayhost
        or "not-spam" is in Subject: header
      • Sandy Drobic
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
          /dev/rob0 wrote:
          > On Sunday 2006-January-01 16:15, LeVA wrote:
          >
          >>postfix/smtp[7610]: E1477490: to=<_address_>, relay=_host_[_ip_],
          >>delay= 435490, status=deferred (host _host_[_ip_] refused to talk to
          >>me: 554-{mx049} Your address is listed as dynamic ...
          >

          > This wasn't what you were asking, but perhaps is ultimately your best
          > solution: postconf.5.html#relayhost

          I decided to use a transport to a relay host for the troublesome servers
          that blocked dynamic ips in suche an abrasive way. It works for the few
          domains that I encountered so far.

          Sandy
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
            Sandy Drobic a écrit :

            > I decided to use a transport to a relay host for the troublesome servers
            > that blocked dynamic ips in suche an abrasive way. It works for the few
            > domains that I encountered so far.

            Note that some people use block lists for dynamic IPs that have their
            own definition of what a dynamic IP is. In particular, MAPS RBL (now
            acquired by trend micro...) and SORBS are known to "abuse the system"
            (do they deserve being called power hungry weenies?). unfortunately,
            many people use sorbs. Of course, most missed the fact that sorbs have
            blocked the postfix ML (at least) twice last year (I mean 2005). M.S. (I
            respect his goal) explained that it was a human error, but I don't rely
            on "human errors". as the Chinese saying goes: if someone beats you
            once, it's his fault. If he beats you twice, it's yours.

            best wishes for everybody on list, net and/or earth, even the bad ones
            (including myself;-p).
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
              Magnus B?ck:
              > > postfix/smtp[7610]: E1477490: to=<_address_>, relay=_host_[_ip_], delay=
              > > 435490, status=deferred (host _host_[_ip_] refused to talk to me: 554-{mx049}
              > > Your address is listed as dynamic ...
              > > postfix/qmgr[452]: E1477490: from=<leva@...>, status=expired, returned
              > > to sender
              >
              > The server gives a permanent error code. Why would Postfix defer this
              > for days instead of bouncing it right away?

              Because people expect this, the RFC notwithstanding.

              http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_skip_5xx_greeting

              Wietse
            • LeVA
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
                2006. január 2. 02:43,
                Wietse Venema <wietse@...>
                -> Postfix users <postfix-users@...>,:
                > > The server gives a permanent error code. Why would Postfix defer this
                > > for days instead of bouncing it right away?
                >
                > Because people expect this, the RFC notwithstanding.
                >
                > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_skip_5xx_greeting

                Thanks, this solved it.

                Daniel

                --