Re: Better to do 550 instead of 450 for these?

  • Arnt Gulbrandsen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      Roger B.A. Klorese writes:
      > Victor Duchovni wrote:
      >> Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
      >> returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.
      >
      > How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
      > could be temporarily misconfigured...

      In that case, the name server tells you "I am authoritative and I know
      there is no such domain". It's not telling you "there never was", it's
      not telling you "there never will be", but what it is saying is
      qualitatively different from "I can't resolve that domain right now",
      and so deserves different treatment.

      Arnt
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        Roger B.A. Klorese a écrit :
        > Victor Duchovni wrote:
        >
        >> Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
        >> returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.
        >

        > How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
        > could be temporarily misconfigured...

        so what? when they fix their system, then they'll post their mail!
        Systems should be optimized for the common case, not for rare cases.

        I prefer to get a bounce telling me that my DNS server is misconfigured
        than wait 4 days and get bounces for all the messages that my system
        sent during that period of time.

        If you don't like DNS failures, then don't base your mail decisions on
        that. DNS isn't safe. If you base your smtp setup on it, then you have
        the common denominator.
      • Len Conrad
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          >To me, the world is not "me vs. them" -- the goal is getting mail
          >through, not scolding about other people's configurations.

          It's not 1995, or 2000.
          If mail admins won't/can't setup to look like part of the solution by
          now, then they pay whatever it costs to be part of the problem.

          Len

          http://IMGate.MEIway.com : free anti-spam gateway, runs on 1000's of sites
        • Roger B.A. Klorese
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
            Len Conrad wrote:
            > It's not 1995, or 2000.

            It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
            mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
            there being mail.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
              On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 11:03:39PM -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

              > Len Conrad wrote:
              > >It's not 1995, or 2000.
              >
              > It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
              > mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
              > there being mail.

              This is getting seriously off-topic. Setting the DNS-based reject codes
              to 5XX is recommended as soon as one is confortable that the settings
              are correct. Persistent 4XX rejects that *don't* represent temporary
              conditions are worse for the sender.

              So either use "reject_unknown_sender_domain", ... with 5XX codes after
              brief testing with 4XX codes (or soft_bounce=yes), or don't use them
              at all.

              Let's not drift into rec.talk.* territory. No off-topic followups please.