Re: Better to do 550 instead of 450 for these?

  • Roger B.A. Klorese
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      Victor Duchovni wrote:
      > Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
      > returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.

      How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
      could be temporarily misconfigured...
    • Len Conrad
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        >>Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
        >>returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.
        >

        >How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
        >could be temporarily misconfigured...

        "hard" for me is negative protocol response (instead of no
        response). DNS NXDOMAIN or NODATA, or SMTP "5xx"

        ain't my responsibility to mind-read, guess, and hedge that their
        server is misconfigged. The sooner THEY pay for THEIR problems, the
        better off we all are.

        Len

        http://IMGate.MEIway.com : free anti-spam gateway, runs on 1000's of sites
      • Roger B.A. Klorese
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          Len Conrad wrote:
          > ain't my responsibility to mind-read, guess, and hedge that their
          > server is misconfigged. The sooner THEY pay for THEIR problems, the
          > better off we all are.

          To me, the world is not "me vs. them" -- the goal is getting mail
          through, not scolding about other people's configurations.
        • Arnt Gulbrandsen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
            Roger B.A. Klorese writes:
            > Victor Duchovni wrote:
            >> Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
            >> returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.
            >
            > How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
            > could be temporarily misconfigured...

            In that case, the name server tells you "I am authoritative and I know
            there is no such domain". It's not telling you "there never was", it's
            not telling you "there never will be", but what it is saying is
            qualitatively different from "I can't resolve that domain right now",
            and so deserves different treatment.

            Arnt
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
              Roger B.A. Klorese a écrit :
              > Victor Duchovni wrote:
              >
              >> Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
              >> returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.
              >

              > How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
              > could be temporarily misconfigured...

              so what? when they fix their system, then they'll post their mail!
              Systems should be optimized for the common case, not for rare cases.

              I prefer to get a bounce telling me that my DNS server is misconfigured
              than wait 4 days and get bounces for all the messages that my system
              sent during that period of time.

              If you don't like DNS failures, then don't base your mail decisions on
              that. DNS isn't safe. If you base your smtp setup on it, then you have
              the common denominator.
            • Len Conrad
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                >To me, the world is not "me vs. them" -- the goal is getting mail
                >through, not scolding about other people's configurations.

                It's not 1995, or 2000.
                If mail admins won't/can't setup to look like part of the solution by
                now, then they pay whatever it costs to be part of the problem.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                  Len Conrad wrote:
                  > It's not 1995, or 2000.

                  It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
                  mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
                  there being mail.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                    On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 11:03:39PM -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

                    > Len Conrad wrote:
                    > >It's not 1995, or 2000.
                    >
                    > It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
                    > mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
                    > there being mail.

                    This is getting seriously off-topic. Setting the DNS-based reject codes
                    to 5XX is recommended as soon as one is confortable that the settings
                    are correct. Persistent 4XX rejects that *don't* represent temporary
                    conditions are worse for the sender.

                    So either use "reject_unknown_sender_domain", ... with 5XX codes after
                    brief testing with 4XX codes (or soft_bounce=yes), or don't use them
                    at all.

                    Let's not drift into rec.talk.* territory. No off-topic followups please.