Re: Better to do 550 instead of 450 for these?

  • Roger B.A. Klorese
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
      Victor Duchovni wrote:
      > Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
      > returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.

      How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
      could be temporarily misconfigured...
    • Bastian Blank
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
        On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 11:10:30AM -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
        > How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
        > could be temporarily misconfigured...

        Why do you respect 5xx replies from a downstream server and bounce the
        message? It may be temporarily misconfigured.

        Bastian

        --
        It is undignified for a woman to play servant to a man who is not hers.
        -- Spock, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
          Bastian Blank wrote:
          > Why do you respect 5xx replies from a downstream server and bounce the
          > message? It may be temporarily misconfigured.

          Fair enough. But I'm inclined to have an SMTP client believe an SMTP
          server but question everything else.
        • Len Conrad
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
            >>Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
            >>returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.
            >

            >How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
            >could be temporarily misconfigured...

            "hard" for me is negative protocol response (instead of no
            response). DNS NXDOMAIN or NODATA, or SMTP "5xx"

            ain't my responsibility to mind-read, guess, and hedge that their
            server is misconfigged. The sooner THEY pay for THEIR problems, the
            better off we all are.

            Len

            http://IMGate.MEIway.com : free anti-spam gateway, runs on 1000's of sites
          • Roger B.A. Klorese
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
              Len Conrad wrote:
              > ain't my responsibility to mind-read, guess, and hedge that their
              > server is misconfigged. The sooner THEY pay for THEIR problems, the
              > better off we all are.

              To me, the world is not "me vs. them" -- the goal is getting mail
              through, not scolding about other people's configurations.
            • Arnt Gulbrandsen
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                Roger B.A. Klorese writes:
                > Victor Duchovni wrote:
                >> Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
                >> returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.
                >
                > How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
                > could be temporarily misconfigured...

                In that case, the name server tells you "I am authoritative and I know
                there is no such domain". It's not telling you "there never was", it's
                not telling you "there never will be", but what it is saying is
                qualitatively different from "I can't resolve that domain right now",
                and so deserves different treatment.

                Arnt
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                  Roger B.A. Klorese a écrit :
                  > Victor Duchovni wrote:
                  >
                  >> Postfix never returns 5XX for temporary lookup problems, even when it
                  >> returns 5XX for NXDOMAIN and other hard failures.
                  >

                  > How is NXDOMAIN any more a "hard" failure? An authoritative server
                  > could be temporarily misconfigured...

                  so what? when they fix their system, then they'll post their mail!
                  Systems should be optimized for the common case, not for rare cases.

                  I prefer to get a bounce telling me that my DNS server is misconfigured
                  than wait 4 days and get bounces for all the messages that my system
                  sent during that period of time.

                  If you don't like DNS failures, then don't base your mail decisions on
                  that. DNS isn't safe. If you base your smtp setup on it, then you have
                  the common denominator.
                • Len Conrad
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                    >To me, the world is not "me vs. them" -- the goal is getting mail
                    >through, not scolding about other people's configurations.

                    It's not 1995, or 2000.
                    If mail admins won't/can't setup to look like part of the solution by
                    now, then they pay whatever it costs to be part of the problem.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                      Len Conrad wrote:
                      > It's not 1995, or 2000.

                      It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
                      mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
                      there being mail.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                        On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 11:03:39PM -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:

                        > Len Conrad wrote:
                        > >It's not 1995, or 2000.
                        >
                        > It doesn't matter if it's 1995, 2000, 2005, or 2037 -- when stopping
                        > mail becomes more important than delivering mail, there's no point in
                        > there being mail.

                        This is getting seriously off-topic. Setting the DNS-based reject codes
                        to 5XX is recommended as soon as one is confortable that the settings
                        are correct. Persistent 4XX rejects that *don't* represent temporary
                        conditions are worse for the sender.

                        So either use "reject_unknown_sender_domain", ... with 5XX codes after
                        brief testing with 4XX codes (or soft_bounce=yes), or don't use them
                        at all.

                        Let's not drift into rec.talk.* territory. No off-topic followups please.