Re: ... using virtual mailboxes

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2005
      Ralph M. Los a écrit :
      > On Friday, December 30, 2005 at 14:52 CET,
      > "Ralph M. Los" <Ralph@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Now that I have (properly) set up virtual mailboxes and it's working
      >>(tested it by hand, via telnet)... I have a quick set of questions.
      >>
      >>1. What are the proper permissions on the mail delivery folders?
      >>(/var/mail/vhosts/<username>)
      >

      >>>Proper permissions give sufficient access for the user(s) doing the deliveries (i.e. the user(s) specified with virtual_uid_maps), but denies access for everyone else.
      >

      > I'll have to look into this more, as I don't understand the virtual_uid_maps and such yet, just copied it from the how-to documentation.

      There are primarily two ways to use vmailboxes:

      1- one uid per mailbox. In this setup, /var/mail/vhosts/<username>
      belongs to the uid for that mailbox, and should be accessible only by
      this user , plus possibly any system program/daemon that needs that.

      To do this, use a virtual uid map(s) (and a virtual gid map(s)) to
      translate an email address to the corresponding uid (gid)

      2- use a single uid (virtual_uid_maps = static:1234 or whatever you
      want. similar thing for the gid) for the whole mailstore. Then the
      mailstore is only accessible via a specific daemon (pop, imap, webmail,
      ...).

      >>2. If I am delivering the mail for the domain the machine is ON
      >>(example.com) to the UNIX user's folder... can I view it using pine?
      >>(if so - how?... if not, with what?)
      >

      >>>Pine can access the mailboxes of Unix users, yes. I'm not sure I understand the question.
      >

      > Well, I sent myself an email, and it is in the ~/.maildir directory, with files like "cur", "new", and "temp". How do I tell pine to look there for my mail?

      use a pop or imap server, and let all programs access mail via this server.

      Otherwise, try
      http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/info/maildir.html
      http://hico.fphil.uniba.sk/pine-patches.html