SMTP AUTH

  • Technical Support
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 21, 2005
      I have been struggling to get smtp auth running under OSX. The auth
      publication fails with the following error reported in the logs:

      xsasl_cyrus_server_get_mechanism_list: no applicable SASL mechanisms

      What does this mean? I am unable to find documentation on postfix
      error messages.

      I only plan to use cram-md5 - preferably drawing from the main
      username/password list, but I'm not particular. I've tried both
      auxprop and saslauthd, always with the same result. Simple would be
      best, but at this point I'll settle for anything that works :-)

      VERSIONS
      Postfix: postfix-2.3-20051220
      SASL: cyrus-sasl-2.1.21
      Unix: OSX 10.3.9 -and- OSX 10.4.3
    • punit jain
      Message 40 of 40 , May 4 12:47 PM
        This isn't possible without separating local mail submission from general internet incoming mail.

        Probably the easiest way to do that is to require your users to submit mail on the submission port 587 or smtps port 465, and use your firewall to block or redirect port 25 from your local network.  Then put whatever restrictions you want on the submission port.

         -- Noel Jones

        Thanks Noel. This answers my question. I was thinking on same lines.