Host or domain name not found

  • Tanner Postert
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
      I keep getting an error message when sending to this certain domain.

      Here is the error message in the maillog:

      Nov 23 17:55:01 tempe-email-01 postfix/smtp[2986]: 407686D8F0: to=<user@...>, relay=none, delay=2, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=domain.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)

      but if i do: host -t mx domain.com
      i get:
      domain.com mail is handled by 10 domain.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net.
      domain.com mail is handled by 20 domain.com.inbound20.mxlogic.net.
      domain.com mail is handled by 30 domain.com.inbound30.mxlogic.net.

      and if i do: nslookup -query=MX domain.com
      i get:
      Non-authoritative answer:
      domain.com      mail exchanger = 10 domain.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net.
      domain.com      mail exchanger = 20 domain.com.inbound20.mxlogic.net.
      domain.com      mail exchanger = 30 domain.com.inbound30.mxlogic.net.

      domain.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net        internet address = xxx.179.109.175
      domain.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net        internet address = xxx.179.109.176
      domain.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net        internet address = xxx.179.109.179
      domain.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net        internet address = xxx.179.109.181
      domain.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net        internet address = xxx.179.109.182

      I don't quite understand how i can be getting proper dns reponses manually, but postfix can't resolve them, and it's only for this domain (that i know of) other external emails work just fine.

      Also, i see the emails getting deferred, but my users never get a response that their email didn't go through. Shouldn't they get a bounce notice of some sort?

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
        Tanner Postert a écrit :
        > I keep getting an error message when sending to this certain domain.
        >
        > Here is the error message in the maillog:
        >
        > Nov 23 17:55:01 tempe-email-01 postfix/smtp[2986]: 407686D8F0:
        > to=<user@... <mailto:user@...>>, relay=none, delay=2,
        > status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
        > name=domain.com <http://domain.com> type=MX: Host not found, try again)
        >
        > but if i do: host -t mx domain.com <http://domain.com>
        > i get:
        > domain.com <http://domain.com> mail is handled by 10
        [snip]

        > I don't quite understand how i can be getting proper dns reponses
        > manually, but postfix can't resolve them, and it's only for this domain
        > (that i know of) other external emails work just fine.

        chroot issue?

        > Also, i see the emails getting deferred, but my users never get a
        > response that their email didn't go through. Shouldn't they get a bounce
        > notice of some sort?

        you may configure warnings (after N hours).
      • Tanner Postert
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
          None of my processes in master.cf are chrooted.

          I will lookup the warnings thing though, thanks.

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
            Tanner Postert:
            > I keep getting an error message when sending to this certain domain.
            >
            > Here is the error message in the maillog:
            >
            > Nov 23 17:55:01 tempe-email-01 postfix/smtp[2986]: 407686D8F0: to=<
            > user@...>, relay=none, delay=2, status=deferred (Host or domain name
            > not found. Name service error for name=domain.com type=MX: Host not found,
            > try again)
            >
            > but if i do: host -t mx domain.com

            http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#no_chroot

            If that is not the problem, you goofed with the access permissions
            of / /etc /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/resolv.conf or some other critical
            file or directory.

            Wietse
          • Keith Matthews
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
              On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:28:48 +0100
              mouss <usebsd@...> wrote:

              > Tanner Postert a écrit :
              > > I keep getting an error message when sending to this certain domain.
              > >
              > > Here is the error message in the maillog:
              > >
              > > Nov 23 17:55:01 tempe-email-01 postfix/smtp[2986]: 407686D8F0:
              > > to=<user@... <mailto:user@...>>, relay=none, delay=2,
              > > status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error
              > > for name=domain.com <http://domain.com> type=MX: Host not found, try
              > > again)
              > >
              > > but if i do: host -t mx domain.com <http://domain.com>
              > > i get:
              > > domain.com <http://domain.com> mail is handled by 10
              > [snip]
              > >
              > > I don't quite understand how i can be getting proper dns reponses
              > > manually, but postfix can't resolve them, and it's only for this
              > > domain (that i know of) other external emails work just fine.
              >
              > chroot issue?

              Unlikely if it only affects one domain. Sounds more like a badly
              configured DNS server somewhere. We had a case like that on the list
              about 6 months ago.

              Of course if he had let us know the real domain that was causing trouble
              we could have checked it out.

              --
              Due to excessive spam as a result of archiving of this list I only
              accept mail through the list server.
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
                double checked the master.cf and nothing is chrooted.

                i don't think it's a permissions error since i can send external mail to my gmail account or other domains, it just seems this one domain is giving me a problem.

                i just tried a simple telnet on port 25 to the 10 MX record, and it did take QUITE some time for it to respond, is it possible that it is timing out?

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Tanner Postert a écrit :
                  > None of my processes in master.cf <http://master.cf> are chrooted.

                  Then share yor infos: post your master.cf.
                  also see Wietse post (check the permissions)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Tanner Postert:
                    > double checked the master.cf and nothing is chrooted.
                    >
                    > i don't think it's a permissions error since i can send external mail to my
                    > gmail account or other domains, it just seems this one domain is giving me a
                    > problem.
                    >
                    > i just tried a simple telnet on port 25 to the 10 MX record, and it did take
                    > QUITE some time for it to respond, is it possible that it is timing out?

                    What is the domain name.
                  • Tanner Postert
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
                      the domain is bibbyfinancial.com. i checked permissions on nsswitch and resolve.conf, both are 644, so everyone has read access.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 1, 2005
                        Wietse:
                        > What is the domain name.

                        Tanner Postert:
                        > the domain is bibbyfinancial.com. i checked permissions on nsswitch and
                        > resolve.conf, both are 644, so everyone has read access.

                        There is no problem with Postfix, but there are problems with the
                        domain. I tried an email probe and it worked right the first time.

                        For example, Postfix needed 10 seconds for DNS and SMTP
                        connection set-up which looks problematic.

                        I noticed that the first bibbyfinancial.com query took several
                        seconds. They seem to have a problem.

                        Their DNS is messed up; they have two NS records at the root
                        servers but the bibbyfinancial.com zone file lists three.

                        See also:

                        http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=bibbyfinancial.com

                        Wietse

                        Logging:
                        ========

                        Dec 1 17:48:58 spike postfix/pickup[47739]: F18DCBC0D9: uid=1001 from=<wietse>
                        Dec 1 17:48:58 spike postfix/cleanup[48583]: F18DCBC0D9: message-id=<20051201224857.F18DCBC0D9@...>
                        Dec 1 17:48:58 spike postfix/qmgr[23364]: F18DCBC0D9: from=<wietse@...>, size=304, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                        Dec 1 17:49:09 spike postfix/smtp[48584]: F18DCBC0D9: to=<postmaster@...>, relay=bibbyfinancial.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net[216.183.119.101]:25, delay=12, delays=0.17/0.03/11/0.89, dsn=2.0.0, status=deliverable (250 postmaster@... ok (normal))
                        Dec 1 17:49:09 spike postfix/qmgr[23364]: F18DCBC0D9: removed

                        Delivery report from "sendmail -bv postmaster@...":

                        Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:49:09 -0500 (EST)
                        From: MAILER-DAEMON@... (Mail Delivery System)
                        Subject: Mail Delivery Status Report
                        To: wietse@...

                        This is a MIME-encapsulated message.

                        --F18DCBC0D9.1133477349/spike.porcupine.org

                        This is the Postfix program at host spike.porcupine.org.

                        Enclosed is the mail delivery report that you requested.

                        The Postfix program

                        <postmaster@...>: delivery via
                        bibbyfinancial.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net[216.183.119.101]:25: 250
                        postmaster@... ok (normal)

                        --F18DCBC0D9.1133477349/spike.porcupine.org

                        Reporting-MTA: dns; spike.porcupine.org
                        Arrival-Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:48:57 -0500 (EST)

                        Final-Recipient: rfc822; postmaster@...
                        Action: deliverable
                        Remote-MTA: dns; bibbyfinancial.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net
                        Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 250 postmaster@... ok (normal)

                        --F18DCBC0D9.1133477349/spike.porcupine.org

                        From: wietse@...
                        Subject: probe
                        To: postmaster@...
                        Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 17:48:57 -0500 (EST)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
                          Thanks for all your help. i have notified the network admin of the errors found.

                          another question... i can send emails fine from other email domains (my home account, or my gmail account...) is there a timeout setting in postfix that i can adjust to allow for a longer responce time?

                          From: wietse@...
                          To: postmaster@...
                          Date: Thu,  1 Dec 2005 17:48:57 -0500 (EST)

                          --F18DCBC0D9.1133477349/spike.porcupine.org--

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 2, 2005
                            Tanner Postert:
                            > Thanks for all your help. i have notified the network admin of the errors
                            > found.
                            >
                            > another question... i can send emails fine from other email domains (my home
                            > account, or my gmail account...) is there a timeout setting in postfix that
                            > i can adjust to allow for a longer responce time?

                            There is no documented interface to control the timeouts in the
                            SYSTEM LIBRARY routines for DNS lookups.

                            I also notice that my own machine had no trouble sending mail
                            to the domain in question. It just took 11 seconds to look up
                            the DNS and set up the SMTP connection. That is well below any
                            timeout limit for DNS or SMTP.