Re: Applying Patches

  • Ralf Hildebrandt
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
      * trichard <trichard@...>:

      > If one currently is running with Postfix RedHat RPM (RHEL ES release 4) and
      > wishes to update the version of Postfix what is the recommended process for
      > doing so?

      Probably the best method is to get the source RPM, and rebuild that
      with the recent sources instead.

      > Is it advisable to wait for a specific RedHat RHEL4 RPM release of the
      > new version?

      It's rather unlikely that this will happen.

      > Or is OK to simply uninstall the RPM and update Postfix to the new
      > version from tarball?

      That could work. But deinstalling the RPM will probably render
      a lot of dependencies invalid.

      Short: if you ask this kind of question you should probably not be
      doing this. Breaking out of the packaging system is always a bit hairy.

      Also see Wietse's answer. It's not worth the effort.

      --
      Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...
      http://www.postfix-buch.com