Applying Patches

  • Jason Williard
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
      I just received the announcement that Postfix 2.2 Patchlevel 6 has been
      released. I am currently running 2.2 Patchlevel 2. My question, as a newer
      user, is how would I apply the new patchlevel?

      Thank You,
      Jason Williard
    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
        * Jason Williard <jwilliard@...>:
        > I just received the announcement that Postfix 2.2 Patchlevel 6 has been
        > released. I am currently running 2.2 Patchlevel 2. My question, as a newer
        > user, is how would I apply the new patchlevel?

        If I were you, I'd download the tarball an reinstall

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...
        http://www.postfix-buch.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005

          Ralf,

          As a follow-up to the previous question:

          If one currently is running with Postfix RedHat RPM (RHEL ES release 4) and
          wishes to update the version of Postfix what is the recommended process for
          doing so? Is it advisable to wait for a specific RedHat RHEL4 RPM release
          of the new version? Or is OK to simply uninstall the RPM and update Postfix
          to the new version from tarball?

          Finally, are there limitations with upgrading Postfix and also running
          cyrus-imapd and cyrus-sasl RHEL4 RPM versions? If so, where might
          compatibility and interop issues be posted? Here is what I currently am
          using if that helps answer the question:

          postfix-2.1.5-4.2.RHEL4
          cyrus-sasl-2.1.19-5.EL4
          cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1

          Thank you.

          trichard
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
            trichard:

            If Postfix works for you, then I would not bother with the 2.2.6
            patch. Most sites will never experience the problems it solves.

            Wietse

            > Finally, are there limitations with upgrading Postfix and also running
            > cyrus-imapd and cyrus-sasl RHEL4 RPM versions? If so, where might
            > compatibility and interop issues be posted? Here is what I currently am
            > using if that helps answer the question:
            >
            > postfix-2.1.5-4.2.RHEL4
            > cyrus-sasl-2.1.19-5.EL4
            > cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > trichard

          • Ralf Hildebrandt
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
              * trichard <trichard@...>:

              > If one currently is running with Postfix RedHat RPM (RHEL ES release 4) and
              > wishes to update the version of Postfix what is the recommended process for
              > doing so?

              Probably the best method is to get the source RPM, and rebuild that
              with the recent sources instead.

              > Is it advisable to wait for a specific RedHat RHEL4 RPM release of the
              > new version?

              It's rather unlikely that this will happen.

              > Or is OK to simply uninstall the RPM and update Postfix to the new
              > version from tarball?

              That could work. But deinstalling the RPM will probably render
              a lot of dependencies invalid.

              Short: if you ask this kind of question you should probably not be
              doing this. Breaking out of the packaging system is always a bit hairy.

              Also see Wietse's answer. It's not worth the effort.

              --
              Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) spamtrap@...
              http://www.postfix-buch.com
              "I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says
              something about human nature that the only form of life we have created
              so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image."
              -Stephen Hawking