Question on converting mailboxes

  • Andy Cravens
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2005
      I have a new postfix server in which the accounts are configured as
      maildir and the accounts are live. I'd like to know if there is any
      problem with copying some old mbox mailboxes to the new server and
      converting them to maildir where the destination account is one of the
      existing live accounts. Since it's maildir I'm not concerned about file
      locking issues. However, I don't know the details on how filenames are
      generated for maildir messages and I'm not sure if any of the existing
      mail is at risk of being overwritten by any of the converted messages
      (files).
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2005
        Andy Cravens:
        > I have a new postfix server in which the accounts are configured as
        > maildir and the accounts are live. I'd like to know if there is any
        > problem with copying some old mbox mailboxes to the new server and
        > converting them to maildir where the destination account is one of the
        > existing live accounts. Since it's maildir I'm not concerned about file
        > locking issues. However, I don't know the details on how filenames are
        > generated for maildir messages and I'm not sure if any of the existing
        > mail is at risk of being overwritten by any of the converted messages
        > (files).

        It all depends on how the delivering program generates the file
        names. If different programs write to the same maildir, file name
        collisions may still be possible.

        Old Postfix versions use starttime.pid_count.host, where count
        is incremented each time a process delivers mail.

        New Postfix versions use starttime.VdevnoIinoMusec.host, where
        devno and ino specify the device and inode number and usec the
        microsecond portion of the time of day.

        Wietse
      • Victoriano Giralt

          Andy Cravens wrote:
          | locking issues. However, I don't know the details on how filenames are
          | generated for maildir messages and I'm not sure if any of the existing
          | mail is at risk of being overwritten by any of the converted messages
          | (files).
          Up to my knowledge (it's been a logn time since I converted to maildir),
          the converted messages get a filename based on their timestamp and an
          indication that they came from a mbox, while the new ones get a more
          complex name based on timestamp ans some other id (probably Wietse is
          more informed than myself).

          - --
          Victoriano Giralt
          Systems Manager