smtp session in second

  • Jahidul Hasan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2005
      Hi

      Is it possible to control one smtp in one second ? I mean a single smtp won't fire twice in a second. Is it possible by use the main.cf parameter file.
      My ISP won't accept more then one smtp session in a second, so I have to make sure that only one smtp session execute within one minute,

      is there any parameter in main.cf to control the session time ?

      regards
      Jahid

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2005
        Why is the mail delivery rate a problem? Can you type your email
        faster than one email message per second?

        Wietse
      • Jahidul Hasan
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2005
          Actually it's not like so,

          I am creating one mail distribution system for Docomo/Vodaphone/KDDI, they
          have some restriction that they won't allow more then one smtp session
          within one second. Though I have mails in my queue , there might be possible
          that one smtp session deliver one mail, exit and reconnect in that second
          interval.

          So I need to prevent my smtp demon not to execute twice within one second. I
          have one smtp session in main.cf and need to control the second interval

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2005
            Jahidul Hasan:
            > Actually it's not like so,
            >
            > I am creating one mail distribution system for Docomo/Vodaphone/KDDI, they
            > have some restriction that they won't allow more then one smtp session
            > within one second. Though I have mails in my queue , there might be possible
            > that one smtp session deliver one mail, exit and reconnect in that second
            > interval.

            I think the problem is not the rate limit.

            I think the problem is that you are not allowed to run a mailing
            list on this type of ISP account. The rate limit is just a technical
            barrier.

            > So I need to prevent my smtp demon not to execute twice within one second. I
            > have one smtp session in main.cf and need to control the second interval

            WHy would I help people to violate the terms of the ISP service?

            Wietse

            > regards
            > Jahid

          • Jahidul Hasan
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2005

              > WHy would I help people to violate the terms of the ISP service?

              I don't want to violate the rules, I need to control my mailserver so that
              it won't execute more then one smtp session within one second

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2005
                On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:12:33AM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

                > > I am creating one mail distribution system for Docomo/Vodaphone/KDDI, they
                > > have some restriction that they won't allow more then one smtp session
                > > within one second. Though I have mails in my queue , there might be possible
                > > that one smtp session deliver one mail, exit and reconnect in that second
                > > interval.
                >
                > I think the problem is not the rate limit.
                >
                > I think the problem is that you are not allowed to run a mailing
                > list on this type of ISP account. The rate limit is just a technical
                > barrier.

                I second this, unless what the OP is trying to say, is that the rate
                limit is a required feature of an email to SMS gateway... NTT DoCoMo is
                AFAIK Japan's largest cellular provider, and perhaps the rate limit is
                theirs, rather than the ISPs.

                The easiest portable way to enforce a minimum inter-message spacing on
                dedicated gateway systems is route the mail to the real destination
                via an SMTP proxy (with mumble_destination_concurrency_limit = 1)
                that pauses for the required time before returning a 220 banner if the
                previously transmitted message was recent enough. Impose the choke outside
                Postfix.

                The OS may also be able to rate limit outbound SYN packets for specific
                IP/port combinations.