Question about "Sender address rejected: Domain not found"

  • Michael Madore
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2005
      Hi,

      Recently, I started recieving a bunch of messages in my maillog like
      the following:

      Nov 23 09:29:46 postbox postfix/smtpd[3592]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
      from wan3.mailfrontier.com[207.47.37.194]: 450
      <root@...>: Sender address rejected:
      Domain not found; from=<root@...>
      to=<aslab@...> proto=ESMTP
      helo=<bigbrother.corp.mailfrontier.com>

      Sure enough:

      nslookup -type=mx bigbrother.corp.mailfrontier.com
      Server: 127.0.0.1
      Address: 127.0.0.1#53

      ** server can't find bigbrother.corp.mailfrontier.com: NXDOMAIN

      mailfrontier appears to be some sort of anti-spam company, and I think
      they might be trying to do sender address verification.

      Is my server misconfigured for rejecting the attempt, or are they
      breaking the rules by having a bogus sender address?

      Thanks!

      Mike
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2005
        On Wednesday 2005-November-23 12:50, Michael Madore wrote:
        > mailfrontier appears to be some sort of anti-spam company, and I
        > think they might be trying to do sender address verification.

        Seems like most of these "solutions" are created by and for people who
        have no understanding of Internet mail. As Jamie Zawinski said about
        Symantec's Norton Antivirus, "Apparently if you are aware that the
        From: field can [be], and often is, forged, you are overqualified to
        write antivirus software." Not the same issue, but the same concept.

        > Is my server misconfigured for rejecting the attempt, or are they
        > breaking the rules by having a bogus sender address?

        It is entirely their fault. You would be too vulnerable to spam to
        accept mail from bogus sender domains. Don't do it.
        or "not-spam" is in Subject: header