Re: Fw: I'm sending "aaazzzaaazzzaaazzzaaazzzaaazzz" emails

  • Nicolas Riendeau
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 22, 2005
      Hi!

      Jason wrote:

      > No, I'm NOT using the postfix server that I'm asking for help to send
      > this email. In fact, this email is not sent by postfix, it's by sendmail
      > + Mailscanner. And the postfix server that's in problem is not using
      > mailscanner.
      >
      > Jason

      Oops, you're right... I should have looked at the headers more closely...

      If you do a search in Google for that string you'll see that other
      people had it in the past but nobody seemed to have found the reason why...

      What library have you linked against Postfix and which patches (if any)
      have you applied to it? It might be a good idea to look that way too...

      Do you have a content filter?

      The server for newhonest.com is a different server if I understood your
      mail correctly... Is it behind something that affects SMTP
      communications like a Pix firewall or something similar...

      You could also try to put a quarantine (static:hold in your
      restrictions)/deferral (could be done on the transport level) on every
      thing that tries to leave your local domain...

      Good luck!

      Nick
    • Jason
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 22, 2005
        >> No, I'm NOT using the postfix server that I'm asking for help to send
        >> this email. In fact, this email is not sent by postfix, it's by sendmail
        >> + Mailscanner. And the postfix server that's in problem is not using
        >> mailscanner.
        >>
        >> Jason
        >
        > Oops, you're right... I should have looked at the headers more closely...
        >
        > If you do a search in Google for that string you'll see that other people
        > had it in the past but nobody seemed to have found the reason why...
        Yeah, this is strange. Postfix is such a successful package that everthing
        is solved within a very short period. But this problem has been floating
        arroung for quite some time. Also, I noticed that quite a number of the
        problematic hosts are from China. And yes, my problematic server is hosted
        in China too.

        > What library have you linked against Postfix and which patches (if any)
        > have you applied to it? It might be a good idea to look that way too...
        No, no patches. Strictly installed from an rpm.

        > Do you have a content filter?
        No, I don't.

        > The server for newhonest.com is a different server if I understood your
        > mail correctly... Is it behind something that affects SMTP communications
        > like a Pix firewall or something similar...
        The problematic host, chinamail, is placed behind a firewall (pfsense-a
        great router). There is not nat for port 25, since this mail will not
        recieved email from the net. It only send and receive email locally, and
        send-only mails to the internet.

        > You could also try to put a quarantine (static:hold in your
        > restrictions)/deferral (could be done on the transport level) on every
        > thing that tries to leave your local domain...
        I don't understand this (I'm quite new to postfix), and what's the benefit?

        > Good luck!
        >
        > Nick

      • Nicolas Riendeau
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 22, 2005
          Hi!

          > What library have you linked against Postfix and which patches (if
          > any) have you applied to it? It might be a good idea to look that way
          > too...
          > > No, no patches. Strictly installed from an rpm.

          You mean by that it it was precompiled? Are you sure that no patches
          were applied by the maintainer(s)?

          >> You could also try to put a quarantine (static:hold in your
          >> restrictions)/deferral (could be done on the transport level) on every
          >> thing that tries to leave your local domain...
          >
          > I don't understand this (I'm quite new to postfix), and what's the benefit?
          >

          >> Good luck!
          >>
          >> Nick

          The idea would be to try to isolate the problem... Is the problem
          happening when you're communicating with the server or when the
          server tries to relay it to the outside...

          My guess is (based on the fact that the problem only seems to happen
          when you send to the outside) that the problem seems to be when the
          message is sent back to the outside (after having been received) but
          trying to hold the message could let you confirm whether this is
          really the case or not...

          Do you have any other pc/server you could temporarily setup as another
          mail server which would be on the same network as your other mail server
          and to which you could try relaying some emails so that you could see if
          the problem happens when the two servers are on the same network (or
          could you sniff the traffic of a test message to see what gets sent
          by your mail server?).

          Good luck!

          Nick
        • Jason
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22, 2005
            > > What library have you linked against Postfix and which patches (if
            > > any) have you applied to it? It might be a good idea to look that way
            > > too...
            > > > No, no patches. Strictly installed from an rpm.
            >
            > You mean by that it it was precompiled? Are you sure that no patches
            > were applied by the maintainer(s)?
            >
            >>> You could also try to put a quarantine (static:hold in your
            >>> restrictions)/deferral (could be done on the transport level) on every
            >>> thing that tries to leave your local domain...
            >>
            >> I don't understand this (I'm quite new to postfix), and what's the
            >> benefit?
            >>

            >>> Good luck!
            >>>
            >>> Nick
            >
            > The idea would be to try to isolate the problem... Is the problem
            > happening when you're communicating with the server or when the
            > server tries to relay it to the outside...
            >
            > My guess is (based on the fact that the problem only seems to happen
            > when you send to the outside) that the problem seems to be when the
            > message is sent back to the outside (after having been received) but
            > trying to hold the message could let you confirm whether this is
            > really the case or not...
            >
            > Do you have any other pc/server you could temporarily setup as another
            > mail server which would be on the same network as your other mail server
            > and to which you could try relaying some emails so that you could see if
            > the problem happens when the two servers are on the same network (or
            > could you sniff the traffic of a test message to see what gets sent
            > by your mail server?).

            But if I don't use generic to modify the domain name (change all outgoing
            mail from users@chinamial to users@...), this "a to z" thing won't
            happen

            Jason

            > Good luck!
            >
            > Nick

          • Nicolas Riendeau
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 22, 2005
              Hi!

              Jason wrote:
              > But if I don't use generic to modify the domain name (change all
              > outgoing mail from users@chinamial to users@...), this "a to
              > z" thing won't happen

              You are remapping your internal addresses to outside addresses only when
              sending to the outside, right?

              Yhe problem, is it visible on your own server or only on the outside
              mail servers?

              If you don't remap your adresses and try sending to the outside
              (assuming the other server accepts the mail) do you still have the problem?

              I have not looked at the code in Postfix that does that remapping but I
              doubt it could affect the message body...

              Good luck!

              Nick