Re: postfix + mysql doubt

  • Magnus Bäck
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2005
      On Tuesday, November 22, 2005 at 15:55 CET,
      Varun <varun_saa@...> wrote:

      > Basically I have my mailserver working using :
      >
      > http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/mailserver_config.html
      >
      > Now I would like to improve on it by using :
      >
      > http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier
      >
      > One doubt I have is do I have uninstall procmail & fetchmail
      > that I used in the first place.

      In any case you obviously don't have to remove those tools from your
      system, but since procmail does not really support virtual users you
      can't use it anymore unless you perform some ugly tricks.

      > If yes then how the functionality of both is achieved then ?

      fetchmail, on the other hand, is completely independent from how Postfix
      delivers and stores the messages. fetchmail collects messages via
      POP/IMAP and delivers them to certain addresses via SMTP (typically).
      That behaviour won't be affected.

      > And why do we call it virtual users ?

      Because they are not real system users. They are only known to the mail
      system and cannot log in otherwise.

      What problem are you trying to solve?

      --
      Magnus Bäck
      magnus@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2005
        On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 22:44 +0100, Magnus Bäck wrote:
        > On Tuesday, November 22, 2005 at 15:55 CET,
        > Varun <varun_saa@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Basically I have my mailserver working using :
        > >
        > > http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/mailserver_config.html
        > >
        > > Now I would like to improve on it by using :
        > >
        > > http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier
        > >
        > > One doubt I have is do I have uninstall procmail & fetchmail
        > > that I used in the first place.
        >
        > In any case you obviously don't have to remove those tools from your
        > system, but since procmail does not really support virtual users you
        > can't use it anymore unless you perform some ugly tricks.
        >
        > > If yes then how the functionality of both is achieved then ?
        >
        > fetchmail, on the other hand, is completely independent from how Postfix
        > delivers and stores the messages. fetchmail collects messages via
        > POP/IMAP and delivers them to certain addresses via SMTP (typically).
        > That behaviour won't be affected.
        >
        > > And why do we call it virtual users ?
        >
        > Because they are not real system users. They are only known to the mail
        > system and cannot log in otherwise.
        >
        > What problem are you trying to solve?

        Nothing yet.

        Just wanted a little clarification before
        I started.

        Thanks

        Varun
      • varun