298986Attachment decoder (slightly O/T)

  • Jeremy Bowen
    Mar 27, 2014
      Just a quick request for advice on filtering incoming email.

      About 12+ years ago on a system which has long since retired, I remember
      having a problem with WINMAIL.DAT attachments in emails. The solution
      used some combination of tools which, from memory, included
      things like tnefclean and mmencode. It would process email on the
      way into the server and sanitize it before delivering to the recipient's
      inbox.

      Some broken email clients can make a mess of attaching certain files
      which other clients then cannot open. I was thinking of doing
      something similar to the above (re-encode mime attachments) now but I'm
      not sure what the best way of handling this is. Any advice appreciated.
      Thanks.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic