297673Re: recipient_delimiter with virtual_* setup: undeliverable address

  • Patrick Lists
    Jan 22, 2014
      Hi Viktor,

      TL;DR fixed, case closed.

      On 22-01-14 17:18, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
      > On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 04:59:25PM +0100, Patrick Lists wrote:
      >
      >> On a CentOS 6.5 box with a virtual_mailbox_domains,
      >> virtual_mailbox_maps, virtual_alias_maps setup all accessing
      >> openldap I added in main.cf (and restarted postfix afterwards):
      >>
      >> recipient_delimiter = +
      >
      > Anecdotal reporting is useless. Only "postconf -n" output is
      > believed here. If you have a multi-instance Postfix environment,
      > check the correct instance. If mail traverses multiple instances,
      > make sure each is configured correctly.

      My apologies, I should have included that.

      # postconf -n | egrep 'recipient_delimiter|propagate_unmatched_extensions'
      propagate_unmatched_extensions = canonical
      recipient_delimiter = +

      >> Jan 22 16:16:52 test postfix/smtpd[11463]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
      >> from smtp-vbr8.xs4all.nl[194.109.24.28]: 550 5.1.1
      >> <patrick+foo@...>: Recipient address rejected: undeliverable
      >> address: Recipient address verification failed;
      >> from=<foobar@...> to=<patrick+foo@...> proto=ESMTP
      >> helo=<smtp-vbr8.xs4all.nl>
      >>
      >> The postfix docs say that postfix first tries patrick+foo@... and
      >> then patrick@...
      >
      > The documentation does not lie. However you're doing "recipient
      > verification" and the message is in fact rejected by the nexthop
      > MTA (which likely does not support address extensions).

      That made me dig into more logfiles and you were totally right. The
      nexthop was rejecting it. I thought Postfix was rejecting it.

      >> but I don't see two queries in the openldap logs.
      >> Just one query for patrick+foo@... and that email address does not
      >> exist in openldap. Why is there no 2nd query for patrick@...?
      >>
      >> What am I missing?
      >
      > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#propagate_unmatched_extensions
      >
      > propagate_unmatched_extensions = canonical

      With this setting together with a tweak in the ldap setup it now works.

      > or configure the nexthop MTA to support address extensions.

      It's an LMTP client and it does not support that so I'm happy that
      Postfix offers a solution :)

      Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Most appreciated.

      Regards,
      Patrick
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic