296707Re: Client host name resolution

  • Kris Deugau
    Nov 18, 2013
      E.B. wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > My understanding was clients for whom you see this in the logs:
      >
      > connect from unknown[1.2.3.4]
      >
      > Do not have a PTR/rDNS set up for themselves.

      For Postfix to include the rDNS in the log and Received: header, the PTR
      name must then resolve back to that same IP as well.

      Sometimes there will be a PTR record, but no matching A record.

      Also keep in mind that if there is a temporary glitch in DNS resolution,
      either the PTR or A lookup might fail when the message first passes
      through, but looks fine later on when you check by hand.

      -kgd
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic