295684Re: email address (user@domain.tld) as username?

  • /dev/rob0
    Sep 27, 2013
      On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 07:09:41AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > DTNX Postmaster:
      > > > To sum up: there is no way for Postfix to map
      > > > "user@..." email to "user@..." system
      > > > account - did I understand correctly?
      >
      > To summarize:
      >
      > The local(8) delivery agent requires system account names
      > without @.

      Yes, but ...

      > The virtual(8) delivery agent requires user@domain account
      > names.

      Requires? Where/why? This is not so. I made at least two virtual
      accounts without "@". (Yes, I am strange.)

      > It's documented.
      >
      > Wietse
      >
      > > Yes. The simple solution for your use case is on that same page;
      > >
      > > http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#virtual_alias

      Two other things I can suggest to the OP:

      1. Simple mapping of UID/GID in virtual_uid_maps & virtual_gid_maps;
      there's no reason why virtual mailboxes need shared UID/GID. See the
      last part of virtual.8.html ("man 8 virtual") to see the features
      you're losing by not using local(8).

      With a precreated $HOME owned by the right UID/GID, you will be fine
      using virtual. Most users have no idea how to use things like
      .forward files. I host techie, Unix-savvy users, and I think I'm the
      only one with .forward files.

      With the UID/GID scheme you showed from passwd upthread, you could
      share the same map file for both lookups.

      2. Use the standard style of Unix usernames without the @domain, and
      perform your mapping of "user@domain" to "user" in your IMAP
      software. It would only take a bit of userdb/passdb magic in Dovecot.
      Not terribly difficult. (Followup on Dovecot list if interested.)

      Good luck.