295682Re: email address (user@domain.tld) as username?

  • Curtis Maurand
    Sep 27, 2013
      I use a system called dbmail to handle the mail store, pop3/imap/lmtp.
      It works great, and my users all use their email addresses as their
      logins and I don't have to have system accounts for them. dbmail.org
      I'm using imap SASL to authenticate smtp users and it works fine.

      Cpanel doesn't know how to deal with it, though. There are a couple of
      web based utilities to manage it.

      Cheers,
      Curtis

      On 9/27/2013 5:32 AM, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
      > On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:15:43 +0200
      > DTNX Postmaster <postmaster@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Unless those users also need some system level access, this is where
      >> you use virtual domains. Use the software as intended, read the
      >> fabulous manual on how to set up virtual domains and their users;
      >>
      >> http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html
      >>
      >> If you really do have a valid use case for system users, you need to
      >> create individual, unique users such as 'test1', 'test2' and so on,
      >> and route incoming mail to the appropriate account. See the above URL
      >> for more information on how to do this.
      > The URLS says:
      >
      > As a system hosts more and more domains and users, it becomes
      > less desirable to give every user their own UNIX system account.
      >
      > I agree.
      >
      > This system will however host 5 or so email accounts, that number
      > will not grow, and I'd rather avoid extra complexity virtual setup
      > brings (as virtual users for Postfix is one, and matching virtual users
      > for the POP/IMAP server is another thing).
      >

      > To sum up: there is no way for Postfix to map "user@..." email
      > to "user@..." system account - did I understand correctly?

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic