295679Re: email address (user@domain.tld) as username?

  • Tomasz Chmielewski
    Sep 27, 2013
      On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:15:43 +0200
      DTNX Postmaster <postmaster@...> wrote:

      > Unless those users also need some system level access, this is where
      > you use virtual domains. Use the software as intended, read the
      > fabulous manual on how to set up virtual domains and their users;
      >
      > http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html
      >
      > If you really do have a valid use case for system users, you need to
      > create individual, unique users such as 'test1', 'test2' and so on,
      > and route incoming mail to the appropriate account. See the above URL
      > for more information on how to do this.

      The URLS says:

      As a system hosts more and more domains and users, it becomes
      less desirable to give every user their own UNIX system account.

      I agree.

      This system will however host 5 or so email accounts, that number
      will not grow, and I'd rather avoid extra complexity virtual setup
      brings (as virtual users for Postfix is one, and matching virtual users
      for the POP/IMAP server is another thing).

      To sum up: there is no way for Postfix to map "user@..." email
      to "user@..." system account - did I understand correctly?

      --
      Tomasz Chmielewski