295439Re: error message with qshape

    Sep 12, 2013
      On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:08:26PM +0200, St?phane MERLE wrote:

      > I use qshape a lot for the content of my alerts (I monitor the
      > number of files and if the alert is triggered, I use qshape to have
      > a nice summary in my email)
      >
      > BUT I cannot use it on the maildrop queue (maybee it is a wanted
      > thing, I don't know), and I cannot find any informations about this
      > on the web.
      >
      > # qshape maildrop
      > Use of uninitialized value $qt in subtraction (-) at
      >
      > can I correct this by myself (I tried adding : $qt=0 if not $qt but
      > then everything is at 0) ?

      The qshape(1) utility expects to find the timestamp record inserted
      into the queue file by cleanup(8). With files in the "maildrop"
      queue that record is absent, since the messages have not yet been
      processed by cleanup(8).

      Thus at this time qshape(1) does not support the "maildrop" queue.
      Generally, the "maildrop" queue is not an interesting queue to
      monitor, since the volume of locally submitted mail should be small.
      (Don't use sendmail(1) to inject bulk mail, SMTP performs much better.)

      You could perhaps modify qshape to derive the message age by running
      stat on the queue file (or file handle), the file modification time
      should indicate when it was created. I've not looked at qshape in a
      while.