295109Re: email from comcast.net is bouncing

    Aug 30, 2013
      On 8/30/2013 2:27 PM, Grant wrote:
      >>> I grep'ed the mail logs for dnsblog and got a huge number of these:
      >>>
      >>> [postfix/postscreen] warning: psc_dnsbl_request: connect to
      >>> private/dnsblog service: No such file or directory
      >>
      >> Looks as if you've found the problem.
      >>
      >> Make sure your master.cf has an entry like:
      >>
      >> dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
      >
      > Thank you. I added it and restarted postfix and started to get errors
      > like these:

      Postfix always add missing master.cf entries automatically as part
      of the upgrade procedure. You can break this by restoring an old
      file after the upgrade.

      > [postfix/dnsblog] warning: dnsblog_query: lookup error for DNS query
      > MASKED.list.dnswl.org: Host or domain name not found. Name service
      > error for name=MASKED.list.dnswl.org type=A: Host not found, try again
      >
      > I did some searching and I think this was due to my use of Google's
      > DNS resolvers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I added my host's DNS resolver
      > first in the list and the errors seem to have stopped. Is that a good
      > config?

      Yes, good. Many public DNS servers are denied access by RBL
      providers due to excessive query load.

      Using your own DNS is the proper solution.

      > I also read a recommendation to set up a caching nameserver like
      > unbound on the same machine as postfix. Is that the right thing to
      > do?

      A local caching nameserver is highly recommended. If you already
      have one that's working OK, there's no pressing need to replace it.

      > Is there a way to verify that everything is working properly?

      Watch the logs for errors or unexpected behavior.