294649Re: Would somebody let me know what I need to do to improve this setup.

  • DTNX Postmaster
    Aug 7, 2013
      On Aug 7, 2013, at 12:03, John Allen <john@...> wrote:

      > On 07/08/2013 1:49 AM, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
      >> On Aug 7, 2013, at 02:32, John Allen <john@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> root@bilbo:~# postconf -nf
      >> [snip]
      >>
      >>> message_size_limit = 34359738368
      >> Compare this to ours;
      >>
      >> ==
      >> $ /usr/sbin/postconf -nf |grep message_size_limit
      >> message_size_limit = 31457280
      >> ==
      >>
      >> And the default;
      >>
      >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#message_size_limit
      >>
      >> Is there any particular reason you need to accept messages 32 GB in size?
      >>
      > Yes. We support a business that designs and manufactures packaging and displays. The sort of thing you might see in the aisle of a supermarket or store selling gum, personal care products. The graphics, art work and design of these need to be sent to the people involved. We have looked into using services like Dropbox but the problem with all of these is copyright. Our customers legal eagles have advise against such services as they may compromise their copyright on anything stored on such services.
      >
      > OT: It is the same advice and reasoning they gave against using public cloud services, some of whose terms of service essentially strip the user of all copyright ownership.

      And they are regularly sending you files, via e-mail, up to 32 GB in
      size? Attachments that are larger than, say, 1 GB? Does the sending
      mail server allow attachments that big in outgoing mail? Does your
      queue directory reside on a partition that has that much room?

      When have you last grepped through your logs to look at the actual
      sizes of the messages that are coming in? What is the largest message
      size you have received in, say, the last four weeks?

      I find it all a wee bit hard to believe. You see, we also support
      similar businesses, and have for many years. For large files, they are
      uploaded over SFTP, and downloaded via same, or HTTP. And increasingly,
      they are using WeTransfer for this. Check their terms, several of our
      clients have abandoned their local file transfer setups for it.

      But please, stop abusing e-mail for this. It's insane, and a disaster
      waiting to happen.

      Mvg,
      Joni
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic