293967Re: Virtual Hosting (Ubuntu 12.04)

  • /dev/rob0
    Jun 24, 2013
      On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 07:24:00PM +0200, Postmaster wrote:
      > Seems like you are missing some basic configuration. From postfix.org:
      >
      > IMPORTANT: Either the smtpd_relay_restrictions or the
      > smtpd_recipient_restrictions parameter must specify
      > at least one of the following restrictions. Otherwise Postfix will
      > refuse to receive mail...
      >
      > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_recipient_restrictionst

      That would be without the "t" on the end, but anyway, no, that's not
      what's going on here.

      > On 06/24/2013 19:02, postfix2013@... wrote:
      > >I'll admit I'm not that familiar with how mail systems work.

      Mail IS very difficult. Have you looked at outsourcing? I don't have
      any service I can particularly recommend, but Google used to have
      gratis mail hosting, and they probably still do it cheaply.

      Success at mail self-hosting is possible, but it will require more
      from you than perhaps you are willing to invest? And then it will
      need care and feeding, such as for spam control, and quick action
      when something goes wrong (suppose your server has a hardware
      failure, for example.)

      That said, I'll continue and try to point you to ways to find the
      answers to your questions.

      > >I wish to collect e-mail from two different domain names.
      > >
      > >I have The Book of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter in front of
      > >me and have been using it as a how to guide for setting it up. I
      > >followed "Mail Server for a Single Domain" and using the IP
      > >address instead of a domain name, it tested out and worked. I
      > >also followed the steps in the chapter "A Mail Server for Multiple
      > >Domains"

      This doesn't really tell us what settings you used. Ralf or P@rick
      might be able to guess, but none of us should have to:

      > >So I went to send a test email and got this immediate reply:
      > >

      > ><me@...>: host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] said:
      > >550 5.1.1 <me@...>: Recipient address rejected: User
      > >unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)

      Logging is a better resource than a bounce message, but this does
      tell us some things:
      1. Your system accepted and relayed for you (thus why Carsten,
      quoted above, was wrong.)
      2. Mail addressed to me@... was relayed to host
      mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz]
      3. host mail.joeswebsite.com[76.xx.yy.zz] has joeswebsite.com
      listed in its $mydestination, but no Unix user nor alias of
      "me" was found.

      Either you have used someone's real domain as your example (don't
      do that!) or something is wrong with DNS:

      joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN MX 0 joeswebsite.com.
      joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN A 216.97.227.40
      mail.joeswebsite.com. 14400 IN CNAME joeswebsite.com.

      This should have gone to joeswebsite.com[216.97.227.40] and not to
      mail.joeswebsite.com. (It happens to be the same address, but the
      actual MX value would have been logged.) Your munged address was
      clearly not 216.97.227.40.