293759Re: Bulk Mailing Performance

  • AFCommerce LLC
    Jun 12, 2013
      I know powermta as well as postfix and I think I can add to some of the comments on here, powermta is not cheap by any means and of course postfix is free, however pmta might have some settings out of the box that are optimized for bulk but they can not come close to postfix as far as email standards go, incoming mail, etc (in my opinion) mainly from how many servers are using it, basically postfix, exim and sendmail create the standards that a company like pmta has to try to follow.

      But the main reason bulk mailers mainly pay for pmta is because it has the ability to send on many ips/hostnames far easier than postfix, since postfix wasn't built (by choice) to send from 100s of ips and domains because that can easily become a tool for a spammer (a spammer could try to modify postfix I assume). The commercial support is a 2nd reason, most of us on this list wouldn't need that type of support, but a legitimate company who doesn't have a decent support staff would be interested in that.

      On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Robert Schetterer <rs@...> wrote:
      Am 12.06.2013 21:17, schrieb fletch:
      > The postfix performance claims made via this thread are far-fetched to say
      > the least.  Most postfix users will only see outbound throughput in the
      > range of ~250,000/hour per instance in a production setting.  Yet, people on
      > here are claiming 10 million/hour?  I guess that would be possible if a
      > sender were to run, say, 40 postfix instances which would be a complete
      > management nightmare of course.
      > Obviously, vendors like Port25 (company behind PowerMTA) and GreenArrow
      > would not be able to make any sales if the benefits of commercial software
      > products v. open source were not substantial.
      > --

      however magic jedi software overpower setup you might use for deliver
      out, you never will reach the higher powered master level , where you
      can press all others to take your mails at a number in time periods you
      might like , so using paid services/software for bulk maybe a good idea
      by many things, comparing it to some default settings of postfix is
      simply nonsense and typical marketing bla bla

      Best Regards
      MfG Robert Schetterer

      [*] sys4 AG

      http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64