292965Re: allowing and then dropping wildcard users

    May 5, 2013
      On Sun, May 05, 2013 at 01:26:20PM -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:

      > On Sun, 2013-05-05 at 02:39:30 -0600, LuKreme wrote:
      > > I have several domains on my postfix server, and I have one where the
      > > owner wants the following behavior:
      > >
      > > user1@... = real user account
      > > user2@... = real user account
      > > *@... = mail checks accepted, actual mail dropped.
      > Use virtual alias mapping to direct mail for user{1,2}@... to
      > actual accounts. Then, implement a catch-all which maps *@... to
      > an address that, via transport(5), directs mail to the discard(8)
      > service.

      That's an answer, but the OP still has not figured out what the question
      is, so he should do nothing until the question is understood.

      In most cases, discarding mail to invalid addresses is unwise, the
      address could be an honest typo and the message may be important.

      If the concern is dictionary attacks, just use a sensible postscreen
      configuration to keep the bots away or accept the fact that one can't
      keep email addresses secret, focus on stopping spam, not hiding email

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic