292910Re: Restrictions after postscreen (was: Re: Postscreen DNSBL Sites)

  • Vincent Lefevre
    May 2, 2013
      On 2013-05-01 07:14:37 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
      > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 03:44:19PM -0700, Steve Jenkins wrote:
      > > warn_if_reject reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,
      >
      > Safe, because many large receivers do this as well.

      That's interesting. Several months ago, I intended to add it, but
      I noticed that legitimate mail I received sometimes contained
      "unknown" (at least for some user), e.g.

      by ioooi.vinc17.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 017ED31D51
      for <vincent@...>; Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:03:52 +0200 (CEST)

      and at that time, I thought that the machine didn't have a correct
      reverse hostname, so that I thought that adding this option would be
      bad. But if I grep all the messages from this IP, I now notice that
      for most of them, I get "host1743300226138.direcway.com" instead of
      "unknown", which occurs only from time to time. This makes me think
      that the "unknown" could just be due to a temporary failure, but
      with the above option, the mail wouldn't be rejected (it would just
      be delayed from time to time due to the 450 reply, as documented).
      Is this correct?

      Regards,

      --
      Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@...> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>