292395R: Scheduling policies for outgoing smtp server

  • Giorgio Luchi
    Apr 6, 2013
      Thanks for your reply.

      We are an Italian Telco/ISP company, so we offer outgoing SMTP service to our customers.
      For this service, we have always thought that the best way to pick up messages from the queue, it is to do round-robin based on IP (or authenticated user if used) of the sender, to obtain fairness based on the "customer" property of the message.

      Referring to the paragraph "How the entry selection works" of the article SCHEDULER_README, I think it could be something like this:
      foreach transport (round-robin-by-transport)
      if transport busy continue
      if transport process limit reached continue
      #replace this with the row below: foreach transport's job (in the order of the transport's job list)
      foreach transport's job (round-robin by ip or auth-user)
      foreach job's peer (round-robin-by-destination)
      if peer->queue->concurrency < peer->queue->window
      return next peer entry.

      We have already adopted the same concept in our Mail To Fax service to obtain fairness in the usage of "fax resources" (we do round-robin by customer).

      We are very interested in obtaining such behaviour also for outgoing SMPT service too. Is our request feasible? Which is the effort?
      We are also willing to pay for this new feature (I'm not sure if this list is the right place to ask for, let me know).

      I'll wait for some decision.
      Best regards
      Giorgio Luchi