292288Re: smtp_sender_dependent_authentication hanging

    Mar 30, 2013
      > E7B1E1FA81: conversation with in.mailjet.com[46.105.158.233] timed out
      > while receiving the initial server greeting
      >
      > Obviously it was not really hung but just waiting for something.

      According to the SMTP protocol definition, RFC 5321, the server
      sends the initial greeting before the client sends its first command.

      RFC 5321 section 4.5.3.2.1 recommends 5-minute timeout for this
      protocol stage. This is consistent with the Postfix default:

      smtp_helo_timeout (default: 300s)
      The Postfix SMTP client time limit for sending the HELO
      or EHLO command, and for receiving the initial remote SMTP
      server response.

      Why does the server not greet? Perhaps the server is overloaded.
      It's also possible that they don't want to talk to your system.

      If you make a tcpdump recording, then I expect to see a lot of a
      silence.