292149Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

    Mar 22, 2013

      > CYBERDROID Inc. Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
      >> On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
      >>> Hello
      >>>
      >>> I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
      >>> an also old server.
      >>>
      >>> The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
      >>> of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
      >>> that use qmail.
      >>>
      >>> Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
      >>> to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
      >>>
      >>> my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
      >>> send emails to the Internet.
      >>>
      >>> In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
      >>> instance that will send it outside .
      >> That doesn't sound too hard.
      >>
      >> Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
      >> for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.
      >>
      >> In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
      >> smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
      >> and change it to
      >> 127.0.0.1:2525 inet n - n - - smtpd
      >>

      >> Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost. I don't use
      >> qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
      >> echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
      >>
      >> but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.
      >>

      >> -- Noel Jones

      On 3/22/2013 3:01 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:> Hello again

      > Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
      > the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails
      > to few
      > users on this machine in a special way .
      >
      > Thank you

      [please do not top post]

      The simple example I posted above should not change the path of
      incoming SMTP mail. Incoming SMTP mail should still be handled by
      qmail, and postfix should only listen on 127.0.0.1:2525.

      There are tools in your OS to define which MTA will respond to the
      "mail" or "sendmail" local commands, such as system reports sent by
      cron, etc.