291992Re: LDA understanding

  • Tom Hendrikx
    Mar 15, 2013
      On 03/14/2013 05:07 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
      > Jerry wrote:
      >> Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
      >> fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
      >> what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
      >> decade.
      >
      > Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design. IMO the
      > inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
      > restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder.
      >
      > -kgd

      To complete this discussion, recent sieve standards/proposals have
      support for a generic interface to external spam and virus filters such
      as spamassassin, called at sieve runtime (i.e. not decisions based on
      earlier added headers), see [1].

      Pigeonhole sieve for Dovecot [2] supports this. pigoenhole also has
      experimental support calling arbitrary external programs in an
      administrator-controlled way [3], which I use with great success to add
      spamtrap messages to a database.

      I hope this might convince people to try sieve once more as a
      replacement for procmail ;)

      [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5235
      [2] http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org/
      [3] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Plugins/Extprograms