291811Re: header_checks to reject domain

  • LuKreme
    Mar 6, 2013
      /dev/rob0 opined on Wednesday 06-Mar-2013@17:26:02
      > On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:52:35AM -0700, LuKreme wrote:
      >> The bad word begins with u and then is followed by n, s, u, b, an
      >> archaic word meaning a person who is employed in writing, and then
      >> a final d.
      >>
      >> u, n, s, u, b,
      >> scribe
      >
      > Cute. :)
      >
      >> I [bad word] from a mailing list but the company continues to send
      >> emails, so I was considering adding them to my header_checks.pcre
      >> file
      >>
      >> /^Received:.*cinemark\.com /
      >> REJECT You refuse to respect [badword-d] requests, welcome to
      >> the blacklist.
      >>
      >> But I thought, before I do this, I better double check that this is
      >> the best way to do this.
      >
      > Almost surely not. You probably want a check_client_access
      > restriction to reject all mail from that[those] IP address[es]. Even
      > a check_sender_access would be better.

      I have no way of knowing all the IPs, they use some remailer service, and I don not want to block the remailer because they are not the problem.

      > A good rule of thumb: never do something in the message content if
      > you can accomplish the same thing with the envelope. Another one:
      > header_checks(5) are rarely useful.

      I find the date checks useful (to reject messages with future/past dates).

      --
      There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't stay still So
      they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will.