291119Re: Could you help me with Postfix + MimeDefang?

  • Mark Alan
    Feb 5, 2013
      On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 22:13:14 -0500, "Bill Cole"
      <postfixlists-070913@...> wrote:

      > alternative to hooking the MD milter into your main smtpd would be to
      > define a transport in master.cf running smtpd with MD as a milter,
      > and use postfix's transport map to route just the one address there.
      > This would also allow you to avoid the ugly problem of envelope
      > recipient splitting inside MD.

      Well, that was also my gut feeling, that was why I posted here to try
      to find some (solid) evidence.

      So, assuming MD SPOOLDIR='/var/spool/postfix/mimedefang' and
      SOCKET='/var/spool/postfix/mimedefang/mimedefang.sock', would the
      following do the job?

      postconf -e 'virtual_alias_maps = /etc/postfix/virtual-alias-maps
      # /etc/postfix/virtual-alias-maps
      mailing_list_1@... mailing_list_1@...
      postconf -e 'transport_maps = /etc/postfix/virtual-transport'
      # /etc/postfix/virtual-transport
      mailing_list_1@... filteredmlmmj:mailing_list_1
      # /etc/postfix/master.cf
      # transport for the mlmmj mailing lists
      mlmmj unix - n n - - pipe
      flags=ORhu user=mlmmj argv=/usr/bin/mlmmj-receive -F
      -L /var/spool/mlmmj/$nexthop
      # filtered transport for the mlmmj mailing list manager
      filteredmlmmj unix - - - - - mlmmj
      -o smtpd_milters = unix:mimedefang/mimedefang.sock

      Please note, in this last statement, 'unix', 'mlmmj' and '-o
      smtpd_milters' nad the 5 dashes.

      > You can probably get a more complete answer on the MD mailing list.

      Not at all. The stated problem is an old problem. I have researched
      extensively a lot of discussions about this subject both in MD list and
      in the postfix list (and a lot of useless 'recipes' too). People tend
      to see this issue as some sort of magically solved hit or miss issue.
      And the people that develop MD seems to be more in the business of
      selling "canned" solutions (pun intended), than into producing good
      and clear documentation.

      > Also note that configuring MD means
      > writing a collection of Perl functions with predefined interfaces to
      > implement the message filtering. If you are not comfortable writing
      > Perl,

      No problem with the needed Perl functions.

      > MD may not be the right tool for you.

      MD is certainly resources hungry. But I do not know any other app
      that meets the specs:
      convert html->text,
      remove unsafe attachments (offenders with known ext's),
      remove+webserve file attachments larger than 500KB

      Right now we are piping email into "altermime --input=- --removeall",
      but altermime is orphaned/abandonware and it does not do that file
      attachment remove+webserve job.

      Thank you,

      Mark.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic