291100Re: Could you help me with Postfix + MimeDefang?

  • Mark Alan
    Feb 4, 2013
      On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 09:40:41 -0600, Noel Jones <njones@...>
      wrote:
      > On 2/4/2013 4:14 AM, Mark Alan wrote:

      > > I would like to use MimeDefang to sanitize the emails that arrive
      > > at one of our 3 mailing lists, i.e., to convert html->text, remove
      > > unsafe attachments, and remove+webserve file attachments
      > > larger than 500KB.
      > >
      > > There are few tutorials on this subject and most, like Mickey Hill's
      > > http://www.mickeyhill.com/mimedefang-howto , ask for the
      > > installation of sendmail and present a config tightly coupled with
      > > sendmail internals (the real sendmail, not postfix's sendmail).
      > >
      > > Could you please provide (or point to) a couple of working examples
      > > on how to setup mimedefang with postfix (would it be better done as
      > > a transport+filter, or as milter?) and, if possible, throw some
      > > light on the advantages/disadvantages of each alternative?
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > Mark
      >

      > mimedefang works as a milter, so that's how you must interface it
      > with postfix.
      > .../...
      > the config details you will mostly be interested in:
      > http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html#config

      First, thank you Noel for sharing your experience and spending your time
      at trying to help.

      Regarding mimedefang, and its ability to work as a milter, and the
      general setup of a milter under postfix, well... I have been there and
      done that (in due time, I even described in this list, the config that
      we use to run opendkim as a milter, communicating by a unix socket with
      a chrooted postfix).

      But the question here was entirely different: "... to use MimeDefang
      to sanitize the emails that arrive at ONE of our 3 mailing lists"

      The problem was not to apply mimedefang to all incoming mail (like a
      milter base config usually does).
      The problem is how to do it in order to to process a SINGLE target
      email address (the address of a given mailing list), without consuming
      unnecessary machine resources, i.e., without "miltering" all the email
      that arrives at the postfix server.
      That was why I also attached the main.cf/master.cf filter+transport
      config that we use to pipe the emails addressed to mailing lists into
      the mailing list management software.

      Thank you,

      Mark
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic