291095Re: postfix-install: bin/postconf ignores new settings and re-uses old main.cf

    Feb 4, 2013
      On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 12:05:09PM +1100, Mark Ashley wrote:

      > I ran across a problem when installing postfix 2.9.5 on Solaris 10 and
      > 11. If there is a pre-existing main.cf on the system then the "make
      > install" step will re-use this, instead of using the settings
      > contained in the new 2.9.5 code tree.
      >
      > It makes installing a new version problematic as you don't expect that
      > sort of behaviour, old configs polluting new code. It's billed as a
      > "transition aid" but it's annoying when you go out of your way to
      > configure the postfix source tree to use other settings.

      The postfix-install script supports construction of "packages" that
      are neither influenced by nor capture the main.cf settings of the
      build host. Instead of doing an "install" or an "upgrade", create
      a package, then install the package on any machine of your choice.