290849Re: Balancing destination concurrency + rate delay

    Jan 18, 2013
      On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 07:46:45PM -0800, Steve Jenkins wrote:

      > > At that point you may not even need rate delays, just set a modest
      > > concurrency, and typical SMTP transaction latency of 0.2-0.5s (
      > > with spam checks, RBL lookups, ...) will give you at most 2-5
      > > messages per unit concurrency per second.
      > >

      > Would this be considered "modest?"
      >
      > yahoo_initial_destination_concurrency = 1
      > yahoo_destination_concurrency_limit = 4
      > yahoo_destination_recipient_limit = 2
      > #yahoo_destination_rate_delay = 2s
      > yahoo_connect_timeout=3s
      > yahoo_connection_cache_on_demand=no

      You'll have to figure that out for yourself mostly, my gut reaction
      is that the recipient limit is too low, if you ever did have a
      multi-recipient message, you'd split it into too many pieces.
      Rather, set something in the 10-20 range (the RFC requires
      servers to support at least 100, and Postfix by default sends
      up to 50 and takes in up to 1000).

      After burning in your IP at low volume, with mail typically not
      delayed by Yahoo at all, I would try to grow the (destination aka
      connection) concurrency limit to something in the 5-10 range.

      The main thing that will matter is "burning in" a new IP address,
      once they've learned you're not evil, I would hope their rate limits
      won't get in your way at all.