290238Re: BCC Transport Map

  • Joey J
    Dec 23, 2012
      What you are saying is correct 100%, the transport map handles it.  MY server is set in DNS as the MX record so it delivers to myrelayservice.com and then holds it, but what I want is to BCC any messages that come in when their server crashes and will take some time before it is back up and running allowing them to see what they are missing.

      On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Geoff Shang <geoff@...> wrote:
      On Sun, 23 Dec 2012, Joey J wrote:

      I currently have a transport_map that takes mail for abc.com and send it to
      their server mail.abc.com, so I am acting as the gateway for the domain.
      My trasport config looks like:
      abc.com    smtp:[mail.abc.com]

      Now lets say their server is down so we decide to turn on a bcc feature and
      send the inbound email to abc-backup@... as well as queue it up so
      that when the mail.abc.com server turns back on, they will receive all the
      messages.

      all this should be unnecessary.

      First, if mail.abc.com were set in abc.com's DNS entry as the MX for abc.com, you shouldn't need a special transport.

      Second, if mail.abc.com is down, the mail should stay on your server until it returns or a configurable period of time has expired (often 5 days). The sender may or may not get a notification that delivery has been delayed, after a configurable amount of time.  When it comes back up again, the mail should just go out.

      Geoff.

      --
      Thanks!
      Joey