290181Re: delivering mail to separate users

    Dec 20, 2012
      On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 01:39:07PM -0500, Simon Brereton wrote:

      > >> Here I ran into problems.
      > >> mail:/etc/postfix# postmap -fq newuser@... $maps
      > >> postmap: fatal: usage: postmap [-Nfinoprsvw] [-c config_dir] [-d key]
      > >> [-q key] [map_type:]file...
      > >> postfix/postmap[31144]: fatal: usage: postmap [-Nfinoprsvw] [-c
      > >> config_dir] [-d key] [-q key] [map_type:]file...
      > >
      > > I'm disappointed you could not then figure it out by reading the manpage,
      > > or parsing the "usage:" message.
      > >
      > > postmap -q key map [optionally more maps]
      >
      > That disappointment is hard to bear, but not unexpected sadly. I've
      > had another look and I still don't get it. Except that $maps can't be
      > expanded by the shell.

      Of course it can be expanded by the shell, it is a shell variable
      after all.

      $ postmap -fq key $maps

      If it were not for the possibility of unexpanded "${parameter}" values
      in "postconf -h" output you could write:

      $ maps=$(postconf -h virtual_alias_maps)
      $ postmap -fq key $maps

      I've not looked too closely at what it would take for "postconf"
      to be able to perform fully recursive parameter expansion. It is
      apparently a bit tricky (from past conversations with Wietse). It
      would be useful however.