289791Re: alias_maps are not being read correctly

  • list@airstreamcomm.net
    Nov 30, 2012
      On 11/30/12 11:17 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
      > On 11/30/2012 10:45 AM, list@... wrote:
      >> On 11/30/12 10:22 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      >>> list@...:

      >>> As documented this format is supported in ALIAS_MAPS not
      >>> VIRTUAL_ALIAS_MAPS
      >>>
      >>> Wietse
      >>>
      >> Understood, however I am wondering why the alias_maps are not
      >> working in my instance as it appears as if they are not being used
      >> at all. I am not sure if this is a symptom of my configuration, or
      >> the intended functionality.
      > alias_maps are used by local(8) during delivery of local mail, and
      > is not used by virtual domains.
      >

      >> In my configuration is have:
      >>
      >> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
      > This defines the databases to be rebuilt when you issue the
      > "newaliases" command. This has no effect on what alias databases
      > are used during local(8) delivery.
      > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#alias_database
      >
      >> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
      > List of databases used during local(8) delivery.
      > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#alias_maps
      > http://www.postfix.org/aliases.5.html
      >

      >> Either of these maps appear to be recognized?
      >>
      > These maps are not used during virtual delivery. Please see
      > virtual_alias_maps; note the format is different.
      > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_alias_maps
      > http://www.postfix.org/virtual.5.html
      >

      > It might be helpful to review
      > http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
      >

      > -- Noel Jones

      Thanks for the clarification Noel, from your explanation it appears my
      relay is virtual so the alias_maps are not going to be recognized for
      the domains that are hosted virtually. I just created a mysql table
      with a source and destination column like so:

      massmailaddr -> destaddr1
      massmailaddr -> destaddr2

      Added virtual_alias_map = mysql:/etc/postfix/massmail.cf:

      hosts = x.x.x.x, y.y.y.y
      user = user
      password = password
      dbname = massmail
      query = SELECT destination FROM entries WHERE source = '%s'

      postmap -q massmailaddr mysql:/etc/postfix/massmail.cf:

      destaddr1, destaddr2, ...

      And had success. I also had to update the value for
      virtual_alias_expansion_limit as my customer needed to deliver to more
      than the default 1000 addresses.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic